Washington Island ?

I haven't been salmon fishing since the early nineties but my son has got me outfitting our boat to get back in. We used to do really well fishing around Rock Island off of Washington Island (Door County). The last time I went the fishing off of the Island, the fishing wasn't as good as it was. What is the fishing around the island like now a days compared to farther south near Sturgeon Bay?

I really enjoyed fishing off of the steep bluffs, which was quite a bit more scenic than out on the open seas. We used to do pretty well on chrome dodgers with silver blue and green squids.

Thanks - Dan

Thanks for the welcome! I filled out the profile but I'm from the Minneapolis area and drive over to Lake Michigan on the Wisconsin side. I'll probably be fishing from about the Two Rivers area and north as far as Washington Island.

Thanks again - Dan

• 7 months later...

Washington Island is still a great fishery. I have never been to Rock Island but have been fishing the ferry run between Door and Washington.Two years ago my wife and I had 175# 10 fish limit. We try to get to this area the second week in July which it seems the fish are there at this time. Have not tried earlier but do occasionally make this trip the last week of July also.

I don't like Sturgeon Bay due to the time it takes to get through the channel out to the Bank. A lot of folks still do this but it is painstakingly slow.

One of the things I like about Door and Washington is that you can usually fish regardless of the wind direction. Baileys Harbor to Gils Rock makes for several locations to fish from regardless of the wind.

Been some time since I could afford the vacation time and gas expense to go there, but when I did, WOW, the west side where the drop off is was very good indeed. We always had big fish and good action on the cliffs overlooking the west side of the Island. The bank would drop off from 75'-300' in no time, real good structure for bait fish and thermals. Not much competition with other boats either. The people of the Isle are also great, they are homespun types and love fish boils too, not to mention the brewski's. Enjoy and thanks.

I spend about five weeks on Washington Island during the summer. Fishing is still very good but you might not catch as many over 20# as before. If you like to fish for smallmouth that is still great. At the end of July there is the Kewaunee/Door County salmon tournament which pays out $40,000 in prizes and $10,000 to the biggest salmon. Here is the link www.kdsalmon.com Last year it was won off Washington Island. If you deside to go there the fish will be waiting.

• 1 month later...