Just startin' out

Guys, I need some help in organizing my equipment priorities. I just got my boat but unfortunately the budget is mostly used up. I guess what I am asking is what equipment I need to get in the game, and what is nice to have but not necessarily essential?

I've read alot of material on the site, and have learned a ton already. But still have alot of questions, so here goes:

1) what rod/reel combinations would you recommend?

2) are downriggers a necessity?

3) mono, lead core or copper?

4) planer boards and dipseys?

5) terminal tackle recommendations?

I know I'm asking for a lot of information here. If there are other threads that have covered it already please advise. I'm thinking I might get away with spending $500 this year - anything more will have to wait. Thanks guys!

If you only have a $500 budget I would start out with 2 dipsey rods, braid or wire, and 2 leadcore setups, probably a fullcore and a halfcore. Plus a set of inline boards and 2 standard dipseys. For dipsey reels I would get the best ones you can afford, which I think would be a Daiwa Sealine SG47 LC. For leadcore I would use the Okuma Convector CV 45. Good, inexpensive rods would be Daiwa Heartland's for dipsey's and Okuma Classics for leadcore. For terminal tackle you want high quality ball bearing swivels. Sampo, Spro, Opti and Dreamweaver all make good stuff. That pretty much uses up your $500 but you should be able to catch fish on those setups. You could get cheaper reels but chances are you would be replacing them in a few years. The ones I recommended aren't the most expensive but will last for you.

I started by checking local bait shops, sporting goods stores and Ebay for some quality used stuff. Replace all the lines with new and cleaned up some of the equipment. I have had look luck with the Okuma reels (30,45,55) and also run a few Cabelas (45) with upgraded drags. Most I bought used 4 years ago and just changed drags this year. As Nick said buy something that will you can afford and will last as long as possible. You can catch a lot of fish without downriggers so I would put them as a lower priority. I bought $20 downrigger rods and have no problems with them. Most rods can be used for more than one delivery method. I think most of mine are med - med/heavy. If you can find them at different lengths that may also help, 8.5-10ft. I agree with Nick about rods to start with and a set of inline planer boards- like the church walleye, offshore, or the Z boards. I use Berkley Big Game #25 for mono, Cabelas leadcore 27#, and Opti 45# copper. I have used the Cabelas welded ring premium ball bearing swivels without any problems. I like Cabelas if you couldn't tell.

Just a tip- Wherever you go for your equipment- be sure you know prices of others before buying. You can stumble into some good deals sometimes, but can also get soaked if you're not careful.

Good luck and keep us informed. We like to spend others' money as well as our own.

Years ago when we moved back to MI I had to start over on my salmon gear I bought 6 Okuma magna 45d reels and rods. I set 2 up with braid 2 with mono and a full core and a 5 color. I ran 2 mono divers to braid divers and the core off boards they are low quality reels but they all still work. Diawa makes a Wilderness rod that is under 20 bucks I bought 4 of them for 14.95ea and they work to catch fish. Since then I have bought better reels but the old cheap gear still catchs fish every time I use them. I am sending the Magna's up to Tuna Tom's to see how well they behave with the upgrades. With a few exceptions all of my rod and reel combos are around 100 bucks ea but I still have several setups with the 14.95 rods and 35 dollar reels. I just bought several Diawa Firewolf rods that were on closeout for 19.95 ea.

Yeah, if you can find quality used rods and reels that is a good idea. All of my diver reels I bought used. I had 2 Sealines that were used, got them for half price. I replaced them with Tekota's this year, also got them used for half price. My braid divers are Convector's which I also got used for half price. It is easier to find used reels during the offseason though when guys are upgrading. You can usually find deals on rods. I just bought a pair of Daiwa Heartland dipsey rods, they were last years models and I got them for $15 each. It's also a good idea to check your local tackle shops. A lot of times you can find rod and reel combos all spooled up that can be very reasonable. Saves you the trouble of having to do it yourself. I wouldn't recommend buying rods online if you have to pay shipping. That can get expensive.

You definitely don't need riggers! Instead you can just use a one pound lead ball. Run a key ring through it and attach 2 church clips. Then run the line through the church clips. When a fish hits you just unhook the weight like you would an inline board. Fished with just that and lead core for years and it worked fine! Also depends on what port, species, etc you are going to be targeting. Feel free to ask as you go along, great forum with some great guys that really know there stuff! Good luck and have fun...

I was in same situation 2 yrs ago. Living in Ludington It was much easier than I thought, most of my gear I got at garage sales. Older lowerance fishfinder gs from retired charter for $1oo ,he even thru in a extending net for free ,2 riveria long arm manual downriggers for 35.oo diseys for $2 each.I have several downrigger weights Ive found as low as $5 each . nothing wins a beauty contest but it got me started. Ebay is where i got most of my rod holders , but as others mentioned study values as some items on ebay go for more than what they could be bought new when you add in mailing cost. My first and most active rod is my full lead core . Meijers has it for $14.oo for 27lb . GOOd luck and this site is full of info ,but alot talk about gear but you dont need the high dollar stuff to catch fish it is just boat jewelry to most, the fish dont care just get lures down to them they dont care if you are using a high dollar rod n real or string on a tree branch . Use what workes, cant afford downriggers, use dive bombs,cant afford new fishfinder , anything is better than nothing, and as you use your gear you will learn what you like and what works for you.And when money is there you will have a better understanding of your needs.

Try this place , he sell on ebay decent prices and quick ships

BRETTS PLACE ON THE BAY http://stores.ebay.com/BRETTS-PLACE-ON-THE-BAY

I bought 4 lead core reels and poles

xp 302 5 colors

xp 452 7 colors

Diawa wilderness rods 8' 6" medium heavy

all my rods are these except the 10' 6" diawa heartlands for dipsys . I also have 2 of the cabelas depth master which I wouldn't recommend ,because of the wimp factor of these. way too soft but are still useable.

I really like the lead core setups and if I would do it over I would buy the lead core first .Make sure you have good quality rod holders , not plastic ones as I did as these won't hold up . Ebay is a good place to check out too.

Last year when I started out I started with 2 dipsy rods and 2 core rods. In addition to stacking DRs. And good luck if you can stop at 500. It will be amazing were you'll get money once your fishing.:lol:

Another good sitte is fishdogcompany.com They seam to have the best prices. I also get some good stuff from brett's.

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I know my budget is too tight but with some of the great ideas mentioned I think I'll be able to at least get a start this year. Maybe if I could get the Mrs. along and hook her a fish, I could expand this year's budget a bit :-)

Look for people who want to get out of great lakes fishing. I bought a nice boat w a 120 I/O and trailer w 2 big John elec riggers for $2000 and it came with about $2000 worth of rods reels and lures. This kind of deal does not happen every day. But I have learned to shop for end of season deals at sporting goods stores. When you have to have something right now you are hooked. Some of the guys who go out in my boat will buy lures and such too, but I do have the cheap ones who expect you to cater to them. Those ones I am not afraid to leave them at the dock if they are 5 minutes late.