I Need Some Imput

I am in the process of gathering info for an up and coming feature article. I will be testing how long the various methods of charging glow in the dark baits last. This is not a who's glow bait last longer study. I have a lure manufacturer who has already given me their blessings for using their lure. I am waiting on a few things to arrive in the mail before I begin my testing. I will be testing one method I have NOT heard of being used in the fishing industry yet.

Everything I test will be a method that is or can be used on a boat.

What I need to know is what everyone uses for charging their glow baits. I am looking for specifics.

What do you use to charge it?

How long you charge it?

How far away from the bait when you charge it?

If you would like to see a method tested, please respond also.

After all of the testing, I will be putting the data together in tables and posting it as a feature article.

Did I miss anything???

Black Light Charged for 1 hour

I have a small black light that I picked up from Gander Mountain. I am not sure if this is the one you are using or not. Do you have the brand and part number of the black light you have?

2 mill candle power spot light for 10 min.

I have a 1 mill candle spot light, and I will see if I can find a 2 mill spot light.

Distance is as close to the spoon you can get.

Time of glow in 60 deg. water vs. 40 deg. water. (The colder the water the shorter the glow life.)

Sounds good.

I have a small black light that I picked up from Gander Mountain. I am not sure if this is the one you are using or not. Do you have the brand and part number of the black light you have?

Same one.

I'm also looking for a florescent light that will run off of a 12V system that is the same size as the black light.

Same one.

Does the one you have have a florescent bulb beside it, and are you charging with both the lights on or just the black light?

I'm also looking for a florescent light that will run off of a 12V system that is the same size as the black light.

I will not be limiting all of my tests to DC lights.

I will be testing some 120V lights. 120V lights :eek: What good is an 120V light in a boat? Have you ever heard of a DC/AC inverter??? It turns DC power into AC power. Every light I test will be able to be used in a boat with DC power or a DC/AC inverter. I will limit this to a certain amp draw, which is yet to be determined.

Think of some of the aquarium bulbs that are out there!

I have a "light" on order that I am squirming in my seat over. I will wait until I get it and verify that I can get it to work with an inverter before I mention it. If this light works I will have to wear shades. :cool:

This should be a very interesting test.

I use both bulbs and like my lures charged for about 6 to 8 hours before I use them. I'll usually just plug in the box on the boat the evening before I leave.

Also a 120V flourescent light fixture will put out a lot more wattage than a 12v light fixture keeping the baits charged for a longer period. A small inverter will run an average double bulb Flor. fixture. I use an inverter on my boat anyways so it's no big deal to go that route but would not be adequate for the average person charging lures with it. It's about a $90.00 expense just to hook up the power source.

In the mornings prior to sunrise, I also use a 2mil candelawatt spotlight at very close proximity. On average, I'd say they are under the light for about 5 minutes. In the afternoons, I'll get the glow lures I plan to put out into the natural sunlight. I ussually get them into the sunlight about an hour prior to sunset.

This sounds like a very interesting article.

i use a 1 mil. candel power spot lite and it works great and i only charge them for about 30 sec. and a mag moon shine seams to last about 1 hour ,also it seams that if you store these baits in a dark box they seam to last longer ,i keep all my non glow spoons in 1 box and extended glows in a different one

I will be testing some 120V lights. 120V lights :eek: What good is an 120V light in a boat? Have you ever heard of a DC/AC inverter??? It turns DC power into AC power. Every light I test will be able to be used in a boat with DC power or a DC/AC inverter. I will limit this to a certain amp draw, which is yet to be determined.

Think of some of the aquarium bulbs that are out there!

I have a "light" on order that I am squirming in my seat over. I will wait until I get it and verify that I can get it to work with an inverter before I mention it. If this light works I will have to wear shades. :cool:

This should be a very interesting test.

Mike,

Keep and eye on the current and amp draw on the battery when using a AC inverter, they can drain a battery down to nothing in a heart beat. I used one for a coffee maker in my duck blind. After (2) pots of coffee the battery was dead.

It's all based on current and amp draw, but you know that.

Steve

Mike,

Keep and eye on the current and amp draw on the battery when using a AC inverter, they can drain a battery down to nothing in a heart beat. I used one for a coffee maker in my duck blind. After (2) pots of coffee the battery was dead.

It's all based on current and amp draw, but you know that.

Steve

Was this hooked up to a car battery or a tractor battery? Do you know what the amp draw on the coffee maker is? How long was the coffee pot on for? Sorry for all the questions.

On another note, I received something from the UPS guy today :D

Was this hooked up to a car battery or a tractor battery? Do you know what the amp draw on the coffee maker is? How long was the coffee pot on for? Sorry for all the questions.

The battery was a deep cycle. (I'll have to check the amp hours but I think it was a 1030-1130 amp hour battery.)

The amprage draw on the coffee maker is a good question. I'll have to see if there is any info on the coffee maker. I ran the coffee maker just long enough to brew a pot and then I would pour it into my thermas and turn it off. So what maybe 15-20 minutes tops.

Depends on if we remember to bring it or not. But we use a 10 million candle power spot light. Put the lure right close and charge for about thirty seconds.

Or we use the 2 million candle power spotlight and do the same thing.

Or we use the 50 watt dock lights if we forget boths spot lights.

Same thought. Hold the lure about an inch from the lense for about 30 seconds and send it down.

Well....thats a set back. I opened up the package that I got from the UPS man the other day to do some "pre" testing. Apparantly what I purchased did not come with a bulb :mad:

I will order a bulb tomorrow.

GLF - In the dark, I use a crank-up LED flashlight called "the illuminator". Best I can find is that wavelength peak is 430nm, which is a little above uV. It's quite bright & I know it gives me a headache looking at it. Seems to work great on wtp tape in my den. Don't know what tape does under water. Under sunshine, I just let the lure sit out for a few minutes.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

anybody use the good old camera flash the uses AA batteries? thats what we use and it seems to do a better job than the spot light.

I will be testing this also. How many times are you flashing your baits?

My uncle just gave me The Black Box this week for charging glow baits. I will be trying it out this weekend and I'll let you know how it works. It's a wooden box painted black on the outside and silver inside. Looks like it has a halogen headlight bulb inside and hooks for hanging lures. Plugs into a cigarette lighter. He made it a few years ago for a friend but never used it.

Pending on the color of the water we're fishing.

If it's dark green,then a fully charged up bait is required at dawn,,clear conditions dictate a subtle glow(too bright is a bad thing too).

Camera flash,black/UV light,spot light all have the time & place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...