Dipsy trouble's......

Hey guys, I am trying to run Dipsy's and all I ever end up getting is a big tangled mess. WTF!!!!

I am running lead on inline boards and every time I throw a Dipsy in it gets tangled with my lead.

My inner boards (closest to boat) are 6 or 7 core and my dipseys are set to #2 either left or right depending on what side I put them out of. I have tried a #0 and #1 diver and it makes no difference. Just yesterday I put the big one out and let out 150 ft of line, it should get down to 60 feet. I dunno maybe it does, but when I reel it in; sure as sh1t, it is all wrapped up around my lead.

How far to the sides do these things travel? Maybe they are getting tangled as I let them out by running into the lead before they get to max depth.

In case it matters I am using 50 pound Power Pro, and generally I am going about 2.4 SOG.

Another possible cause is when I let out the lead after checking the lines, I generally let them out straight off the stern, so I suppose its possible to have the lead cross the dipsy line, but I thought the dipsey line would be too deep for that to happen?

Any thoughts, pointers or detailed methods of running DD's would be very much appreciated.

What Russ said. A few things to change. 1, Diver rods should be run straight out the side of your boat (or even tilted down one notch). 2, When letting the diver out don't free spool it. Run it out slow on the clicker, or better yet, by loosing the drag.

Most likely your not letting the core/planed board rod out to the side far enough.

When you reset the core: let it all out, let it pull tight (it helps the core to raise back up from the free fall of letting it out), clip the board on, let 100 or more feet out, then put it in the holder. A 6/7 core will only go down 25-30'.

A mag diver set at 1-1.5 will dive close to %50 of line out.

I had the same problem last year. After a ride along this year with Paulywood he made it look simple. My problem was 1 my boards were to close to the boat and 2 He used the drag and clickers to let the line out on the dipsy.

Steve

Looks like you already got plenty of good advice. I have run 2 dispeys and 3 boards on a side and not had a tangle. And my inside board will be a fullcore with a divebomb on it and not get into the dipsey. The easiest way to set a dipsey is to back off the drap and let it work it's way out. That way is gets depth and goes sideways at an even rate. While you are letting it out you can set other rods. It's a good job to give a beginner or kid, just have them watch it and tell you when it gets to whatever reading you want, then go over and adjust the drag back. I can usually get both riggers set by the time the dipsey's are deployed.

How far from the boat are your planer boards? That should never happen, something isn't right.

They look to be about 30 feet from the boat.

I had the same problem last year. After a ride along this year with Paulywood he made it look simple. My problem was 1 my boards were to close to the boat and 2 He used the drag and clickers to let the line out on the dipsy.

Steve

I have been using my thumb to let them out?

I wonder if I have been taking the turns too sharp?

30ft from the boat is way to short. The shortest i do is about 120ft. Thats about 12 passes. if im by my self and no ones around i will put as much room as possible up to 180ft for my inside board. The way i look at it is there made to get it away from the boat so that what i do.

Let the board out farther, your running it too close and when you pop the dipsey its coming up under/into your lead core. Also, when you trip the dipsey reel it in, dont let it float up to the top and then start the retrieve. Start retrieving immediately. By doing so you will reduce the risk of getting the two together...ecspecially on longer set backs. The longer the set back on the dipsey, the farther your inside board needs to be from the boat....Also, try not to pop the dipsey if your on the turn. Say your turning Starboard...That puts the port side boards are lagging back as theyre now the fast side. Again, this puts the core more at risk of being over top the dipsey. And finally, as others suggested, let it out slowly. I ususally deploy my dipseys using the drag as well. Allows me to set other lines while theyre creeping out. Not a bad way to fish your way down either. Might hit something you would have otherwise passed up. Could be a clue on speed as well. Good luck, have fun.

Dipsies go out against the drag as soon as they are in the water running clear of othe rlines they are in the holder pulling against the drag going out. Boards go as far as I can get them away from the boat I don't care if I am 600ft wide unless there is traffic around me and unless i am pounding the fish I leave the traffic and find my own water. Only issue I have is my braid diver getting let out too far and finding my 300 copper.