Strange Catch.

How common is it to catch herring while trolling for salmon. We were fishing the LCATT Lake Charlevoix Area Trout Tournament last weekend and caught a herring 40' down on a gold spoon w/black spots. It inhailed it, with all three hook in its mouth. It was about 16" long. When we were reeling it in I though it might be a steelie, cause the color is so close. They were in feeding on Hex flys aka mayflys. We seen some surface for them.

What are some none target fish you have caught while trolling?

Fishing the mud in Muskegon I have caught perch, bass, walleye, sheephead, gobies and whitefish trolling out front over the years have caught pike and catfish trolling the sand docks. Herring are not a big surprize up north but would be in the southern ports.

Don't know about herring...that's a big herring! But over my fishing career, I've caught garbage bags, a fishing rod, a christmas tree, a wallet and snagged a couple carp all with silver bullets. Had a two banger once - 20 Lb salmon on cheeter and a 4 Lb smallmouth on the main line deep in 120 FOW.

On a more serious note though when I lived in the UP I got a couple Herring a year trolling. Not common but not shocking either. Now if I got one in southern Lake Michigan then id be very suprised.

I posted a 20 fish box a few weeks ago, including a 4 # King taken on bottom bouncer and crawler harness.:)

Didn't you also tangle with a steelie out in those waters??? On another harness?

Didn't you also tangle with a steelie out in those waters??? On another harness?

You are so right. Last week we had one on for three spectacular leaps. It seems we take a couple of Steelies every year on harnesses.:)

Here is a picture of the herring. I have caught a bunch of 15" walleye over the years and I have gotten good at judging size. It was bigger than them and I was being conservative.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=283

Don't know about herring...that's a big herring! But over my fishing career, I've caught garbage bags, a fishing rod, a christmas tree, a wallet and snagged a couple carp all with silver bullets. Had a two banger once - 20 Lb salmon on cheeter and a 4 Lb smallmouth on the main line deep in 120 FOW.

As said, I don't know much about herring, however in Great lakes, adult skipjack is typically 11-16" & per WISC seagrant site and the world record is 3Lb12oz per IFG. If I were you, I verify ID on Wisc ID site then have the biggest one entered. You may have something there.

It was not a skipjack it was a Herring. The current state record for Lake Herring is 5lb-6oz. They have to be 16" or 2lb-8oz for a master angler. Which I could care less about. But if it was a state record I would have entered it.