big boards off a mast vs. inlines

I have 6 Offshore OR12 boards. I run them for walleye and salmon. I did have some Otter boats but sold them after a short time because I realy didn't think I would ever use them. Know I am wishing I would have kept them and am thinking of getting another set.

How many guys are running big boards off a mast vs. inlines. What do you find are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I sold my big boards 3 years ago and I seldom miss them. If I was running a bunch of similar setups like walleye fishing I could see some value in them but I love my inlines and the fact I can setup any rig I want and add it or subtract it from the spread at will. I can count the number of times I have missed my big boards in the last three years on one hand. I paid a lot of money for my mast and boards still have the mast and sold the boards for less than half what I paid for them and I would do it again.

Is the big issue getting lines to clear of each other after catching a fish on an out side line. For example you are running a 3,7, and 10 color LC set off one side. The 3 on the out side and 10 on the inside. If you catch a fish on the 3 you can't bring it to the inside when reseting because the 7 or 10 will tangle if you get a fish on them. Am I thinking right on this.

I walleye fish mostly and I am not going back to big boards for noone and somedays I run 10 or 11 inlines at a time you get a problem once in a while but most of the time even the problems are easily fixed!! Also I never had a set a big boards that worth a steaming pile in rough water inlines track true no matter what!

I've run both many times and have found that the hook up ratio is greater on in-line boards vs. the big boards. I suspect it has something to do with that small split second that the line is slack after the fish takes it off the big board, where as when the fish hits an in-line there is no give what so ever.

Also as mentioned earlier it's easier to "reset" your spread on the in-line boards while running different leads/coppers, but it does take some practice (and a few tangles) before you get it right.

The only time I run my big boards now is in early spring in close for browns, and I may change that over to in-lines next year.

Good luck,

Chris

I run the in-line boards when Salmon Fishing with Lead Core. I like them and they work great for that. I run my big boards for walleye fishing. I don't have flags for my in-lines and I cannot tell when I have a walleye on with them. I was not about to buy flags for them. I can easily tell if a fish is on with my big boards by the pull in the big board line. I usually run all the same set up on each side. One side I might run all BB and crawler harnesses all set back about the same. The other side I will run all Hot N Tots. When I get a fish on one I just slide the rest of the lines out and reset on the inside. That is what works for me.

The only time I would consider using big boards is multiple presentations of the same setup for Coho or Walleye. I tried using mine one time for Steelhead and they could not take the speed or the waves. Even for spring Browns I prefer inlines since I vary my setups for each line and with inlines you can compensate for differences much easier. I watched a show on Striper fishing in Chesapeake Bay and they used huge triple boards but they still ran the same or nearly same setup on each line so they could just keep sliding new setups out.

In-lines for Salmon and Walleye. I used to run the big boards but soon realized the in-lines are the way to go. For Salmon I seldom run more than 4 boards along with 4 Dipsys and 4 riggers. For Walleye I will run up to 10 in-line boards.

For Walleye my percentages skyrocketed since switching to the OR12 Offshore boards with tattle flags. I have fished along side of seasoned fishermen with big boards, and the lil boards consistently take more fish. I still have the means to hook up the big boards, but I haven't run them in about 5 years.:)

I need to try the Z boards, but i doubt they will pull my gear out to the sides like my otter boats. Even with 500 and 600 coppers these boats are perpendicular to my boat. Church boards just sag back way to much and i get nervous they will get into my wires or slide divers. In my opinion the church boards are good to about 3 colors of core. After that they can get far enough out to the sides. Especially on turns.

I need to try the Z boards, but i doubt they will pull my gear out to the sides like my otter boats. Even with 500 and 600 coppers these boats are perpendicular to my boat. Church boards just sag back way to much and i get nervous they will get into my wires or slide divers. In my opinion the church boards are good to about 3 colors of core. After that they can get far enough out to the sides. Especially on turns.

i just ran the z board big daddys for the first time on sun and you will be suprised how well they pull long segments of copper and lead,i had to see it to believe it:thumb:

I run and like the big boards for early coho fishing when fishing identical set ups on a side. Usually I have a different set up for each side, but identical for that side. Once its time to switch to varying set ups, in lines go into the package. Works for me. Got to stay flexible whichever way you go and be ready to change as conditions and fish dictate.

Duane

I run and like the big boards for early coho fishing when fishing identical set ups on a side. Usually I have a different set up for each side, but identical for that side. Once its time to switch to varying set ups, in lines go into the package. Works for me. Got to stay flexible whichever way you go and be ready to change as conditions and fish dictate.

Duane

Flexibility is always the key. I never sell any method short.:) Right on Duane.

I own a half dozen Offshore inline boards & a pair of Otter Boats.

My use is based on how many lines I want away from the boat.

If it's just a single line on each side, I'll use inline boards, but if I need multiple lines away from the boat, I go with my Otter Boats.

I grew frustrated with false releases when I rigged my inline boards to release & slide when a fish hit, so I went with an OR18 snapper adjustable tension release for the front & an OR16 snap weight release in the rear. This has worked great for me when I salmon fish, but it was a disaster when I had 6 lines out trolling for steelhead/browns in the spring/fall skinny water as I was dropping fish trying to unclip the board. This is the precise reason why I use Otter Boats for spring/fall shallow water trolling as I can fight the fish cleanly. Oddly, I don't seem to experience any dropped fish as others have when using big boards/tether line/mast set-ups.

I am currently going to use Inline boards on my new boat. For the last three years I used otter boats and did not have many lost fish and it sure is nice to not fight the board. I never saw any issues after catching fish I just put the line out again without pulling the longer ones first. Very seldom had any tangles with the big boards. I did buy a set of Z boards and I have missed my mast already. I will soon have both and the ability to fish with either I hope.

One major advantage to big boards is when people see them coming they will get out of your way no one trys to win a tug of war against them. My biggest issue with them is my inline setup is so versatile and speed tolerant. It always seemed like on some days only one side of the boat would fish right with the big boards. With the inlines I can adjust each one to run differant and tune the spread to speed each one up or down and get my gear where I want it plus I can haul butt in Steelhead mode and cover tons of water at speeds up to 7mph though I usually run between 4 and 5. My goal is to cover water and find active fish if I wanted to just work one area I could save the gas and just drift and jig something more should try as it will work.