Straits Mackinac St. Ignace

A million thanks to Steeliebob for fishing with us Saturday June 12 and for helping me make a plan of attack for fishing the straits.

The weather was a bit tumultuous on Friday night, which made for a challenging crossing from Michigan City to Mac Island, and a rough sleep on the boat during the wind, heavy rain, and thunderstorms. That made our 5am departure a bit delayed.

My son and I weathered the storm. Got some lines in the water at 6:30 AM, and hit a nice 13# king. We finally got in touch with Steeliebob around 8 or so, and we learned from his expertise for a couple of hours, hooking into another king that we unfortunately couldn't boat--he spit the hook.

The next morning we caught a couple more--8-10# and about 3-4# salmon. It was a very nice weekend after the stormy Friday, although we could have used a touch of wind on Sunday to limit the massive bugs!

Every single strike this weekend came on the riggers from 55-75 feet down, in 85-140 FOW between St. Ignace and Mackinac Island (St. Ignace side, north of the coast guard station). Every single strike also came on a stinger glow ghost, stinger size lure. Dipsies, copper were silent. They wanted the downriggers and only that spoon. No flies.

Surface temps were about 57 degrees, with temps 51-52 at the ball.

Thanks again, Bob. A picture follows, but I left the camera on the boat that has the pictures of the big one.....

Scott

dscf1847.jpg

Nice job on the salmon Scott! :thumb:

The weather was a bit tumultuous on Friday night, which made for a challenging crossing from Michigan City to Mac Island, and a rough sleep on the boat during the wind, heavy rain, and thunderstorms. That made our 5am departure a bit delayed.

Michigan City to Mac Island????? :eek: That must have been a loooonnnnnggggg boat ride. :P I'm guessing you meant Mackinac City. ;)

Some day I will make it up to the straights to fish.

It is so much fun to watch these kids. That guy did everything from driving the boat to cranking on the fish. What an outdoorsman he was, and you have to give Scott lot of credit as a parent. This guy is really interested in hunting and fishing. It was a fun fishing trip glad that you caught fish to take home.