Fished the Michiana Steelheader's tournament with my oldest daughter and my nephew Saturday morning. Nephew being older and wiser promptly climbed in the truck at 3:45 and passed out; daughter chatted the whole way down there.

Didn't have nearly the luck Pikeman had. Bummer. Could have used those big fish.

After idling around the piers for 25 minutes, I told the crew if nothing else noteworthy happened, the shotgun start would be fun. Enough rollies to keep the aluminum boats down, so when they cut us loose I pointed her north and opened it up. Not happy that a beautiful old Slick was hanging with us, I trimmed her full up and gave it the last 500 rpms I was holding back with. Water behind the boat was beat to white froth but I was having fun and soon ran away from the pack. A shallow victory of some kind but for 24 years and 1400 hours she still knows how to party.

Set up in 70' off the dunes and while letting out the last cores, rigger fired 72' down. Mag yellowtail SS looking for lakers but we got a 6.5# king. Nephew having not been on this boat and years grabbed it like the pro that he is. Too bad it wasn't the 19# he landed a couple years ago.

Wandered around in there and heard reports of fish in 90', got out as far as 80' (man it takes FOREVER to get more water under your boat at this part of the lake!) when we heard fish being caught where we just left. Back in there, nothing, so out to 90'. Started marking bait and some hooks belly to the mud, kept hammering the bottom 10' for gray fish with the cores up high looking for coho and steelies.

About 10 am Andrea just came out of the cabin when the 7 color wiggled, and then the board started crab walking. Grabbed it and had her horse the board in, and then crank in all the core. 2.5# king. Well, she'd have something to weigh.

10 minutes shy of pulling lines the trash can spin and glow rigger that had been ticking the bottom all day finally fired. Big laker for Andrea to weigh? Nope, barely legal.

Storm front bearing down, we pulled them and ran in. Nephew took 24th and got a savings bond and a trophy. Andrea got 48th and won a sweet Okuma combo on the last raffle ticket called.

Had a really good time. Goodie bags, lunch waiting for you at the weigh in, kids walking around hugging salmon - what a riot. Andrea really wanted a trophy though, and my nephew offered to give his to her, but I want her to earn it. So there's next year......

Good job getting the kids out. Did you see anything exceptional at the weigh in? With all the boats at the launch I was suprised I did not see a single boat where I was at all morning in 100-140'. It seemed that everyone was north from what I seen, I was out to the south. I wish I would have known your boat at the launch I would have introduced myself. Im sure I seen you, I have the little black aluminum Triton pulled out at about 12 right when the lauch was hopping.

I've got a navy over gray old square stern Four Winns Sundowner.

At the start, 90% of the boats went north, as did we, and we never got beyond 100'. Sounds like that was a mistake.

Notables at the weigh in were the sheer number of obese lakers. Some flirting with 18#. Haven't seen that many big lakers in a long time.

Got to see the old Running Mon Dorado out there, which is funny as my nephew and I both spent a lot of time on that boat. Small world.