Fly Colors

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and the sport. I started last year, got out 5 times with very little succses. Only caught a couple of fish, but did learn alot through trial and eror. Here is my biggest ? for everyone, what color spoons work the best? I have picked up about 20 so far but still not sure on what to buy or use. the wonder bread color is the only color i caught a fish on last year. Also i am tying up flies right now. what color flies work most often, with what kind of flasher. I have a few flashers and not sure on that hole subject either. I dont have alot of money to waste on stuff that doesnt work so i am here asking for Help? I will post some pics of my flies that i have tied.

Kris, welcome aboard.

#1, Green/yellow spoons tend to be best in the top 50 fow

#2 Blue colors work best below that 50' mark.

The same applies for your flies.

A green/mountain dew flasher fly is deadly up high, and the same applies for the blue down deep.

If you want more spoons, than get some Moonshine mag spoons. They should be charged and put in the water any time the sun is close to the horizon.

The Moonshine spoons will work good also at all depths.

Later in the summer get a few Ace High j-plugs and run them.

I'm sure a few more will chime in on how to spend your cash.

Look here for posting pic's

Welcome aboard Kris!

Read this post on how colors are viewed under water.

Every tackle box should have at least one blue dolphin spoon. This color is probably the best color out of all the spoons out there.

The brushed stainless trophy fly from Siggs Rigs is my favorite fly. This behind an 11" double pearl fishscale paddle is a deadly combination.

Kris welcome to GLF. It may also help if we knew what port you fished out of since different lures may work better in one location than the next. When you think about lure colors you have to think about what those colors look like under water as you go down in the water column. As you go down, light saturation starts to decrease, and colors start to fade. The reds and oranges are the fist colors to dissipate. Blue and violate are on the opposite side of the spectrum and will be visible at deeper depths with less light saturation. This is why certain colors work better up high, and others work better down deep.

Welcome aboard Kris!

Read this post on how colors are viewed under water.

Every tackle box should have at least one blue dolphin spoon. This color is probably the best color out of all the spoons out there.

The brushed stainless trophy fly from Siggs Rigs is my favorite fly. This behind an 11" double pearl fishscale paddle is a deadly combination.

If you get some blue dolphin stingers or dreamweavers they will catch fish all season all day and at all depths. This is the most versatile spoon out there. An aqua fly is about the most versatile fly you can use also. Check out www.eyeflies.com for #11 and #17, these flies have been producing really well under all conditions and depths for us this season. Keep your flashers simple to start with. I would run one on each dipsey, a green blade on one side and white on the other and let the fish tell you what they want. The white one will work better on the deeper set and early and the green will work all day. The double pearl fishscale flasher is one of my favorite white blades also. Good luck.

Running orange or red on your high lines near the surface is always good to put steelhead in the boat. They are suckers for anything orange or red, this year the goldilocks pattern spoon by Michigan Stinger has put 75% of all the steelhead I caught in the boat. I always run it on my highest line in the water, usually about 15-20' down. Then yellow or green between 20 and 50' and blue or white down deep. There are always exceptions though, blue has produced well for me this year throughout all depths though. If you have a budget start out with at least the dolphin pattern spoons, (green, blue, and carmel), they are usually solid producers day in and day out. In general though a specific spoon pattern is not key IMO just the color. Over time though you will find your favorite pattern and you will always make this your first spoon to hit the water.

Kris, welcome to the site. Lots of great folks here that are willing to help.

Check out my "tips" page on my website.

http://www.eyeflies.com/?q=node/6

This chart was developed by a fisheries researcher friend of mine some years ago, based on the research findings on kings, and what kings see when. The colors at depths are kind of surprising to some.

The colors are applicable to both spoons and flies.

Good luck.

I just want to say Thank You to you guys who posted with this very helpfull Info. I did not know alot of this stuff with the color at certain depths. This is a great sport and I am only into my second season on the big pond, I have alot to learn. This info will help me be more succsesfull and save me money, by not buying the wrong stuff. It is nice to know that there is a place like this site were a person like me can ask question and learn from others. Im looking forward to getting out on the water and applying this info. Thank You.

The best thing to do to start putting together a good program is write down what color baits are working at what depth. Make sure you also take note of the sky conditions, this is probably the most important part of getting it right. Cloudy day baits will also work well on sunny days when the sun is low on the horizon so if you have action don't automatically think it is a good sunny day bait. Keep track every trip and you will start to get comfortable picking the right baits without switching too much. Above all keep it simple, their are way to many color combos out their to sort through. You will find that the same 10 or so color combo will do most of your work, so get real comfortable with those and you will do more damage than the guy with 100 different colored spoons.

• 3 years later...