Tangles

Here is another question for you guys, I run 4 dipsey rods 2 per side. riggers straight out the back off each corner, How do I keep the lines (dipseys) from tangling? I am running flasher flies on these rods ,they don't get into the riggers they are much deeper. I am running on the far outside a 10' 6" #1 set on 2.5 to 3 running from 70 to 130 LOC, the rear(inside) dipsey is a 8' 6" #0 set 0 to 1 running 55 LOC. the rod holders are about 10" apart. I'm not sure if its the current or the turns. When I make a turn its very wide. I was out yesterday and both sides tangled, while I was clearing the mess the pole went off for my daughter, not too much room in the boat for 2 messed up rods and fighting fish. I thought running a #1 deep would keep it clear of the shallow rod.

Jim

Jim, use you shorter rod for the inside diver, and use a mag sized diver set at 1, or 1.5. Longer rod for the out diver (I still like the mag here also)set at 2.5 or 3. My two diver rods are located 14" apart from each other. Run the out diver back at least as far (or farther) as the inside diver.

Tilt the inside diver holder down farther than the high diver.

Here is a shot of my diver holders. (Click on it to make it bigger)

b86g0004.th.jpg

Are you tangling with the Rigger? or you other diver?

You may be tangling as there going out?

It's best to deploy a diver at a slower rate than an open bail. Many guys lower there divers by loosing the drag, and letting it creep back.

The only time I had troubles with the two divers tangling was when the flees where heavy, and they loaded up on the braid, and pushed it back into the wire.

I'll try to lower the inside and raise the out side rods, here is the best shot I have , its also going to get a little more complicated as I just bought 2 more down riggers, big Jons 4' booms, have to find space to squeeze them in somewhere.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/2/3/7/7/m_dscn4809.jpg' alt='m_dscn4809.jpg'>

only time the riggers get tangled is when a fish runs over the rigger lines.

looks like the outside rod is down in this photo, I have raised them since.

I might be letting out the line to quick , get in a hurry sometimes.

Jim

Edited by jimcr
adding

Totally agree with the earlier post by nailer. Until recently I was running 2 dipseys per side in a small boat with no problems at all. My rods closest to the transome were about 8 feet and were set on 1.5 letting out something like 80 feet of line. The higher divers were set on 3 with more line out than the deep divers and also on a 9.5 foot or 10 foot rod. Putting them on 3 with more lines sends them way off to the side and gets you some left and right seperation. My rod holders are im guessing 18 inches apart. Once I started running them this way I never had anyproblems. Now I have downriggers so im running 1 per side until I get 2 more rod holders mounted or find 2 really skinny pretty girls to come along with me so im not weighted down to get out 9 lines. Also I always let the click and drag take my dipseys out slowly, then go work on the other side and eventually setting up riggers when they need to be tightened up. Slow makes then cut out right away getting them fare out left and right, this is especially important when setting and outside dipsey with a flasher/fly.

Edited by BlueCollarOutdoors
Add a comment

Tilt that rear rod holder down as far as you can. How many fish do you take on dipsies over there? The boat we fish out of is much like yours and we only run 1 wire dipsy on each side, so 2 total. We hang a lot of fish on lead and copper on inline boards. I understand that the dipsy rod is a blast to fight fish on, but if you boat does not allow the space or freeboard to run 2 dipsies per side I would re-think. We typically run 10 to 11 rods on an 18 foot Lund and tangle rarely. 2 downriggers, 2 dipsies, 6 boards, and one down the chute. Dipsies set on 1.5 in the summer.

It looks like you have your diver rods in plastic holders.

m_dscn4809.jpg

Sooner or later they will break, and you will loose your rod, reel, and tackle.

looks like I'm going to have to put a safety strap on until I can afford metal ones.

Tilt that rear rod holder down as far as you can. How many fish do you take on dipsies over there? The boat we fish out of is much like yours and we only run 1 wire dipsy on each side, so 2 total. We hang a lot of fish on lead and copper on inline boards. I understand that the dipsy rod is a blast to fight fish on, but if you boat does not allow the space or freeboard to run 2 dipsies per side I would re-think. We typically run 10 to 11 rods on an 18 foot Lund and tangle rarely. 2 downriggers, 2 dipsies, 6 boards, and one down the chute. Dipsies set on 1.5 in the summer.

My boat right now is taking about 70% on dipseys right now, the riggers have been real quite for a while.

As for lead core I can't afford any more rods right now its the last thing I will buy this year, but no funds right now.

I also set the dipsey's by loosening the drag. I run 2 per side on occassion and have never had an issue. Inside divers on 1 and outside on 3. And I agree with the plastic holders. A couple of pieces of rope tied on to your dipsey setups will be a good backup for now. I almost lost a dipsey setup on a friends boat when a plastic rod holder broke as a fish hit. There is a lot of pressure on a dipsey setup. Good luck.

I agree with everyone else let the divers out slower! I have four riggers on a 240 thompson I would love to take two of them off and just run two but my dad won't let me. The only time I like four is early in the am. just my two cents not that it matters!! good luck this year!!!