Better Reel

Who makes a better Reel Okuma or Daiwa.

I have 2 27lc and 2 47LC really like these very smooth, but not wanting to put all the same type on everything I am wondering how well the Okuma reels are and how well they hold up.

Go Shimano! :thumb:They're pricey, but well worth it. I converted all my gear (rods and reels Talora and Takota) over last year, and love it. Silky smooth drags, and built like a brick sh**house. :grin:

I like Diawa but the handles are too small and the line capacity is much less then the Okuma reels. 6 years ago I bought 6 Okuma Mag 45 DX reels and most of my friends told me they were junk well they still catch fish and I am going to send a couple of them up to Tuna's and get them upgraded if I like them after the upgrades I will send the rest in. For a trolling reel on a budget they are hard to beat. I can't understand what some people have against them esp since they constantly want to compare them against reels costing 2 or 3 times as much but hey I would expect a reel costing 2 or 3 times more to out perform them. Simply put the Magna and Classic are low cost reels that hold a lot of line and will work get the drags upgraded and plan on replacing a few parts now and then and you will like them. Or do as some do and complain about how they ain't 200 dollar Shimano reels. I can't figure out why there is a big argument between a 80 dollar Okuma Convector and a 200 dollar Shimano as to which one is best Duh. The Shimano is a better reel however compare the Shimano against a 200 dollar Okuma and the difference fades fast. The same applies to Diawa reels every company builds good stuff and they all build items based on meeting a price point personally a Okuma Convector beats a Diawa every time for me. Mostly because of line capacity and the handles on the Diawa feel like reeling in a Zebco the Okuma may not be the best but at least they look and feel better to me.

I have also been using the Okuma reels for the last 10 years. Sure they wear out, and I replace them or have them repaired.

But they sure get the job done.

Another alternative, look at the reels that Cabela's are offering with their name on them.

Have a friend that is using them, very smooth, large line capacity, and it they break, return to Cabela's and they will replace it.

I use Convector's exclusively for my leadcore reels. As Jim said the handles and retrieve ratio are much better than the Daiwa's for core. I had 2 Daiwa Sealines for my wire divers and was happy with them, especially after I upgraded to the power handles. I recently replaced those with Tekota's but haven't had a chance to use them yet. I also use Convectors on my rigger rods and braid dipsey's and haven't had any problems. I'm not a charter captain but fish 15-20 trips per year and have had no issues with the Okuma's. I use the Magda's for walleye but don't really trust them for salmon. To me it is about matching the reel to the application, much like a tool. I am willing to spend more for diver reels because they have a lot more pressure on them and the drags need to be able to handle big runs. I don't feel that you need nearly as stout of a drag on core as fish don't seem to make runs like they do on a wire diver. And walleye don't really fight at all so I just want a reel with a linecounter. I try to find the right tool for the job.

I too use convectors on my rig. I changed all my magdas out to them a while back. However, the price just jumped this year another $10. What you could get last year for 75 is now 85. I have to say that the closer they get to 100-120, the more willing I might be to go Shimano. But that is a lot of reels to change over .

For me I am just about at the point that I would need a much bigger boat to really use many more setups. So now my plan was to begin to upgrade my gear as it needs replacement but instead of replacing the old Magda reels I will try out Tuna's and see if I can get a season or 2 more out of them and if nothing else they will become backup reels. The funny thing is I did not like the cheap Okuma reels when I bought them but needed low budget rods and reels so back then my goal was to fill the rod holders and hope for the best. As the years passed by I have become pretty happy with them they have reeled in hundreds of fish so now I wonder what they will be like with quality drags.

Go Shimano! :thumb:They're pricey, but well worth it. I converted all my gear (rods and reels Talora and Takota) over last year, and love it. Silky smooth drags, and built like a brick sh**house. :grin:
I agee I've owned diawa's and penn's before but haven't bought anything except shimano in years. You get what you pay for in fishing reels. Buy it once for more or buy it atleast twice for less.

I agee I've owned diawa's and penn's before but haven't bought anything except shimano in years. You get what you pay for in fishing reels. Buy it once for more or buy it atleast twice for less.

me too,tekotas and charter specials:thumb:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses . I know you get what you pay for and I was comparing the Diawa Accudepth to the Okuma reels. In the near future I am going to buy some rods and reels for lead core,at this point its the last thing I will be buying this year.As I have blow the budget this year.

Tight lines

Jim

both are superior reel companies. I feel daiwa makes an awesome rigger reel,okuma makes some real good stuff too, but i like okumas more for running copper or bigger cores.

Either way you wont go wrong.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want a quality reel look at the Daiwa Saltist. Here are some of the features you get with them:

High Speed retrieve

Tested Salt water drag (smoothest I have ever used)

Large handle

Well balanced with a heartland

I have had mine for about a month and a half and the reaction I get once someone has used them is amazing. Most times my buddies are upset they have to go back and use their 47's! Don't get me wrong the 47 was and still is a great reel for the great lakes. If your in the market for a Tekota or a high priced Okuma you should give these an honest look.

Another thing we figured out this weekend about this reel is the high speed retrieve helps when using sliding cheaters for Steelhead and Cohos. You can really catch up to the fish on the slider.

I have 2 penn 320's,2 Diawa LCA 47LC, 6-27 LC Accudepths, 4 okuma convectors from 20-45.

They all work. But I like the convectors the best, with the LCA's next. The accudepth reels are junk. The new accudepth plus reel are suppose to be better. I would buy convectors they won't break the bank and are great reels. Below is the cheapest I have found them. I have been told by friends that they are cheaper at the store, but have not had a chance to go yet.

http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com/oscommerce/catalog/index.php?cPath=4_38_130