Copper or core's

I am adding 4 more rods to my arsanel this weekend. I was thinking of getting into copper because of the shorter line to depth. Like a 100, 150, 200,and 250.

Or should I be looking at mixing it up like a 150, 250 copper and a full core and a half core.

Also I'm looking for some feed back on the new okuma xp 302 and 452 reels if anyone has had one yet.

Thanks Steve

But Last year we didn't do real well with lead, so I bought some copper set-ups and so far this year for the last 5 trips copper has been the best producer in the 30lbs and 45lbs 265' and 300' I wouldn't have bought the 30 lbs rigs if I new what I know now it would have been all 45lbs stuff but shorter lengthes.

I love my copper rods but lead definitely has its day. 150', 200' and 300' have been my best, but after last year I added a 250' w few fish so far. Last year the copper was hot for me in May and this year it has been more lead. Both are great in my opinion. I have a lot of confidene in my coppper but depends on time and person. Just my .02

BTW I prefer 45# but some love the 30# too

I run both copper and cores. The copper will get you a lot more depth with the same amount of line, not so much crankin on the copper but it is really heavy and unless the fish is large you dont get much fight until ;you get close to the leader. The full cores let me have a higher set than the copper and then I go to short cores. My coppers are 300 ft of 45#, with 50 ft of 20# fluoro carbon leader.

I would definatly use both as they both have their days. Both lead and copper are purley about production, cooper more so. It will help put fish in the box forsure, but its no fun doing it. If I am tourny fishing the copper goes in, otherwise, there are better and more fun ways to fish those depths with other delivery devises that dont rob you of the fight with the fish like copper does.

I would run a few half cores with drop weights long before I run copper. I get to the same depths as copper but can still feel the fish on the end of the line.

To each his own though. I cant deny that copper does put fish in the box.

If you want to put more fish in the box on days when the fishing is tough in my opinion the copper will do that for you. We traded in the leadcore for copper with the exception of the halfcore. Copper in the shorter length of 75, 100, 150, 200 cam be deadly for kings year round. those are all set up with 45lb. The 100 foot seems to always catch big kings when they arent so deep. We also fish to 300 45lb with great success. Buying a 300 30 lb is a great way to go. It has been out fishing all other coppers the last two years. The 450 is a beast but hey...Fish on. As far as tournament fishing goes copper can be the difference in comin in with a box of twelve fish. As opposed to seven. Late in the mornin the coppers can round out your box. Are the days where leadcore out fishes it? Absolutely. But the key to the copper is the depth you can achieve with a shorter length.

I run copper and lead. I catch more fish on 17 color lead than copper. I run copper on 1 side of the boat and lead on the other. If I were buying 4 new rod setups I would buy 2 lead and 2 copper. Not sure what port you fish out of but in Montague the lake gets deep fairly quick. 450 copper is my longest copper but my 300 out fishes it.

Personally i believe you can't just go with one type of set up. You gotta go with what the fish want, and both can produce fish on any given day. On those slow days a lot of people tend to get into that lazy mode. Running the same baits for god knows how long, and most of the time your box will reflect that. I for one have no shame in saying that happens to me. Having both set ups can turn a meeger box into one the isn't so shameful. Some days the copper just doesn't produce fish but the lead will, and vice versa. Leaving either in the water when its not producing really does nothing for you. If your going to buy 4 set ups, get two of each, but don't be scared to switch them out at different parts of the day. And as time goes on add to those set ups. You can NEVER have too many rods or too many different presentations. Catching fish on either is no guarantee but the more presentations you throw at em the better luck your going to have. Just my two pennies :D

17 and double cores are CRAZY. Unless you are built like Popey. I can't imagine dragging that stuff in. BUT, it does work. So does Copper, so does full core with dive bombs. You just have to figure out what you want to do and what works for your boat. Last year I would have said go lead, but this year with the super copper I would probably say to go with that at different lengths. Another good hint that people use is to do copper in 50 or 100 foot sections with small swivels in between the lengths. This way you can get a few setups for different times of the year with the same rods and reels.

• 2 weeks later...
I am adding 4 more rods to my arsanel this weekend. I was thinking of getting into copper because of the shorter line to depth. Like a 100, 150, 200,and 250.

Or should I be looking at mixing it up like a 150, 250 copper and a full core and a half core.

Also I'm looking for some feed back on the new okuma xp 302 and 452 reels if anyone has had one yet.

Thanks Steve

I just got out this week and tried out my new lead core reels XP 452s 7 color worked great, very smooth good drag also. Sunday I will be trying out the xp302s 5 color , I think they will be very much the same. Bought them from Brets place on the bay, very good price all spooled up ready to go.