Rod and reel for leadcore?

Well, give us a price range, how many colors of lead core? Thats gonna be a big factor on reel selection. I run Penn 320's GTi' up to 5 color and then go to 330 GTi's for anything up to 10. Great reels, not the cheapest and not the most expensive either.

As far as rods, i use 8'6" Shakespear Wolverine rods. They work fantastic. Not sure that theyre available anymore. Should be able to find something comprable though. Its just a DR rod. Some folks like a 9 or 10' rod for full cores.

Well I am not sure how much leadcore I should run. Probably half or full core.Now can you put a full core on a reel and only let out what you need at that time. Like lets say half core one day 3 colors the next and full the day after.Rod doesn't matter I can get a downrigger rod for it.I am not sure on price yet just on the cheaper end.

unlike most people, i only have full core set ups. my thinking is, why have 10 different rods when you can do the same with just four. i just attach my board where ever i need to on the leadcore to give me the desired amount of colors. I have always done it this way and have never run into an issue with the board/release damaging my leadcore. the only issue i have with this is when running a short leadcore, there is a huge bow in the leadcore line from the board to the boat. it makes running a short leadcore far away from the boat difficult.

Well, give us a price range, how many colors of lead core? Thats gonna be a big factor on reel selection. I run Penn 320's GTi' up to 5 color and then go to 330 GTi's for anything up to 10. Great reels, not the cheapest and not the most expensive either.

As far as rods, i use 8'6" Shakespear Wolverine rods. They work fantastic. Not sure that theyre available anymore. Should be able to find something comprable though. Its just a DR rod. Some folks like a 9 or 10' rod for full cores.

I concur. I love the penn 330 GTI's. That would be my 1st choice.

Penn Reels but you need to run all of the core out if you are going to run inline boards. If not then you can let any length out down the chute. Be sure to clearly mark the color changes so you can get the proper length. My grandpa used to take red and white paint,(laquer) and put small marks on each change of color 1 mark 1 color 2 marks 2 colors and so on the red and white show up well. If you can afford it use as good a quality rod as possible and the reel should have ball bearings and a relative fast retrieve 3.7 to 1 or better. Okuma CL452 for around forty bucks and you can get the okuma classic pro 8'6" rods for around 30 bucks at Bretts Place on the bay on E-bay he has some special combo pricing too. If you would like a lead core set up he has 2 cl452l reels prespooled with 10 colors of lead and 2 7' trolling rods for 150 bucks plus shipping.

Unless you spend a whole bunch of time fishing Salmon/Trout in the great lakes a 7 foot Med or Med heav 1pc Ugly stick rod and Okuma DX 30 & 45 will do you just fine, if you happen to wear one of those reels out either throw it away or send it to Tuna Tom and a $30 fixin, you'll have about $60 invested per set up not counting the core.

Oh, on my shorter lead cores, i also run the older Daiwa 47 HS. 3,5,10 are my favorites. They seem to take allot of fish on our boat. When using I would let out all the core and then soem backer to allow it to achieve some depth. Otherwise its not getting down to where it should be, your going to have the bowing issues already discussed from the rod to planer board, and you could possibly weaken the sheath where it rubs on the rod tip and/or release as you troll. Lead core gets it strength from the sheath so youll want to protect it all you can. Just my $.02.

from experience, i still believe you CAN put an inline boards directly on leadcore. I understand concern about this practice but i have NEVER had any damage or lost equipment/fish from doing this. The bow between the boat and board is the only issue i have ever had. Not saying this is the way it should be run, but i don't think it should be completely ruled out either.

tdr rods are only 30 bucks and come with a warr.

TDR is what I replaced my lost full core with from last weeks trip. I also had to replace the reel. Pyles Porthole in southaven hooked me up with rod and Okuma 45 classic reel and spooled the reel for me with backer and 27lb leadcore for about 120 bucks. Rod was only 30 and im not sure if I will like it as I loved my 9' whuppin sticks, (Cabellas rod) but for 30 bucks if it doesnt work out then im not out much. reports ive read is that guys like them.

I agree with Yoda, I have 2 full core setups both with ugly stick 7ft rods $22. at wall mart and both have diawa 57 line counter reels . I have had no problems with mine and any more than 3 colors out and rods have a slight bend i like to them. Ive been told these reels have been discontinued but they can still be found for $ 50.. I have 4 penn 320 gt2 reels I use for divers and love these reels but they run just under $100. Id say you can go cheaper on rods but not on a good quality reel.I bought my Peens so I wouldnt have to keep replacing worn out reels, they are costly but should last a very long time 20 yrs or so where cheap reels come with cheap quality and may only get 1 or 2 seasons out of them and if they fail will you be able to get replacement parts? good luck hope this helps

20 to 25'

I would go with full cores. I have bolth and my full core outfish the halfcore 3 to 1. Later on after you start building your arsinal and the budget is not so tight you can make up some half core rigs but for starting out I would definanlty go with full core. you will use these more then halfcore most of the year. Most of the fishing seminars that I have attended have suggested the same thing guys like Dave Engle and Bill Bale Of Best chance 2.

Your going to want to start deep with the water warming up the fish will be deep. Start with the full cores at least. You can get two cores from cabelas for 17 bucks. Be carefull though its addicting you will start with 2 and end up with 22

Your going to want to start deep with the water warming up the fish will be deep. Start with the full cores at least. You can get two cores from cabelas for 17 bucks. Be carefull though its addicting you will start with 2 and end up with 22

well said. I did exactly that once I started fishing core rods about 10 years ago.

Once summer hits Rick we will run mostly a full core and a 1/2 core off boards 99% of the time. For us spring means 1 color thu a full core with 1 thu 1/2 most days out of Detour. Last year out of St.Ignace in Aug.... 5 and 10 colors took a bunch of fish..

Well I rarely go any faster than 2.5mph. I am just not sure I want to have 100 yards of line behind the boat if I were to go with full core.Does leadcore catch that many fish that I am missing out if I don't get some?

yes lead core catches as many fish as people say... more than copper? to each his own. In my opinion they both have there day's. If I had to pick one, I would say lead is easier to learn.

i think so on them blue bird days and you looking for a bit it usually comes in on the full core. The bouncy action and the lenth of it out there dosent spook the fish, Also i have fished full cores on riggers to so i think that there a great option