big jon mini divers ?

I am heading to lake erie for the first time in 20 years june 3-6th. Staying at brest bay marina. I have been listening to several captains at the shows this year for walleye. Most boast the mini big jon divers with spoons now. When i last went it was all hot n tots. What is the length of the leader between the diver and the spoon, and what pound test, i have some 12 pound flouro, you guys use.

Also i am using my inlines that i use for salmon fishing. are the tattle flags worth messing with when puliing the mini divers. I have the wire and bet some up and boght some springs to make them, but are they worth using.

I wouldnt mess with the flags when pulling the discs. Speed and the drag is gonna pull them down.

As far as leaders, i run 10# on mine and about 6' long when i pull spoons. Im sure someone else will chime in with their favorite set up.

I have a few mini discs, and rarely use them since I was introduced to the jet divers. :thumb:

Thing is is that when boaters world was closing the last day they were open they gave me all the mini discs for a quarter a piece and i have like 20 of them. I also bought out all their walleye spoons, a whole grocery bag of dws, silver streaks, yeck spoons, at 10 cents a piece. I know a lot of guys are using jets, maybe next year i'll get some of those.

I just tie direct. Let me know when you're having a tackle sale. That's a hell of deal you got on the discs and spoons...yowza:thumb:

We run all mini disc, with 6' 10lb leader. 80' back is about 18' down. Usually when i start in the morning I will stager them to see where the fish are active and adjust from there. I dont run inline boards on erie, just the big boards. Hope this helps you.

With the smaller walleye spoons, use mono as leader material. With the stiffness of floro, it can kill or severely limit the action of some spoons. I use as long of a leader as I can get to net with the rods used (usually 6-8').

I have been running spoons on Erie since the early 80's. Standard 4" size spoons will account for as many or more fish than walleye size. Mini discs and snap weights are my go to presentations.

I just tie direct. Let me know when you're having a tackle sale. That's a hell of deal you got on the discs and spoons...yowza:thumb:

when the kid told me what he would give them to me for i emptied every peg hook without regard to color.

Take some inline weights and crawler harnesses as well incase they want meat. A friend of mine has been beating em up on Erie on meat.

I do have some harnesses and weights, and am going back to gander tomorrow when my two year old has had a nap already. today was an ugly seen with him in that store LOL. He did not want to shop today.

Another question. Someone mentioned earlier about using straight mono. What is the general concensus on this mono or flourocarbon. i have both but want to use what is going to work better.

Water clarity can be an issue depending on the proximity of rainfall to your trip schedule.

Early in the season I start with mini discs and #10 jets.

As the season progresses, I put away the mini discs and switch to bigger jets and walker deeper divers.

Walleye are more boat and light shy than anything else. I use clear mono for the most part but have had success using trilene big game in the green colour. I wouldn't go much lighter than 12 lb for mono. Walleye are not the concern, but there are plenty of rainbow out in Erie.

I use braid later in the season as well when the fish are deeper. Also not to be forgotten is leadcore down the chute or off the boards.

Spoons mostly but body baits as well. Jointed rapalas and husky jerks can work very well. Dead smelt on the beaches this year means that they are a main food source for the walleye. Adjust bait presentation accordingly.

Good fishing!

HIH