Fog

Yesterday I fished early in the fog! Had a great day but had some real concerns about small boat fishermen running on plane in that pea soup. When it is foggy any safe fisherman should have some essential tools and knowledge. First you go slow and have some one looking for other boats, 2nd you need at mnimum a good marine compass, but preferably a good GPS unit, and best if you can afford and have a place to mount it a Radar unit.

I had a small 17 or 18 foot boat go by me on full plane and visibility was less than 200 yards, scared the heck out of me when he buzzed my planer board 180 ft fm the boat.

I had the experience of seeing the boat turn off my boards at less than 20 yards sry but that is what I experienced. No one large or small boat should be running hard in a fog. The instruments will help you but they are no substitute for common sense.

I dont think he's singling anyone out, just stating that we need to slow down put safety first. He simply cited and inscident that occurred first hand. Just so happened to be a smaller boat in this instance. Bottom line...boat size doesnt matter, if your careless, bad things will happen. I think thats the gist of his posting. I think its a great reminder in light of what happened over the weekend.

It is too bad but some people just don't use common sense. I was out sunday in the heavy fog. On the radio someone spoke of another boat running on plane in it near them and couldn't see them. The wife and I were discussing it earlier as we passed what looked like a section of docking that went to sea with the wind. At speed and heavy fog that was a piece that would do some serious damage to someones boat. I don't believe radar would have seen that!

Fished Port Sheldon sat morning and the fog was ridiculous. I was going pretty slow in the Nee Hi. We could here talking and Randy said he heard baitclickers of people setting lines that we couldnt see. One guy said he came upon a floating tree that he thankfully saw. That was pretty crazy at any speed.

Fog is bad news for everyone. In Manistee we had a boat that hit the breakwall and one man is dead. The boat is on the bottom. If you want to read about it ckeck out the LudingtonDailyNew.com

Yah. I don't think he was trying to single anyone out. He said his concerns were regarding small boat fisherman running on plane. I suppose maybe all he saw that day was small boats doing it, I dont know. It can be frustrating at times being a small boat fisherman on lake michigan. Constantly getting looks like you don't know what you are doing, and getting pushed around by bigger boats all the time.

I didn't intend to cause any hard feelings. Just wanted to clarify that it's not okay for any boat to be running hard in that type of visibility.

Big boats, small boats, it doesn't matter. A few seconds of being careless, and stupid can ruin more than a fishing trip. I'ts been my experience that it's harder to see with a bigger boat then small boats mainly because the fog tends to mist up the windshield, and wipers can only do so much.

Big boats, small boats, it doesn't matter. A few seconds of being careless, and stupid can ruin more than a fishing trip. I'ts been my experience that it's harder to see with a bigger boat then small boats mainly because the fog tends to mist up the windshield, and wipers can only do so much.
Agreed 100%

I can relate to this. Every morning I fish, my widows are dewed over. :( I clean the windows and it comes right back. I usually pull the top back and look like a prairie dog on the way out. :P

I second the fogged up windshields. RainX does help, they make a product that reduces the condensation sticking to the glass. I put it on and then I keep a Micro fibre rag handy for the glass inside the cabin.