One fatality when boat sinks in Manistee

GLF

Manistee -- A passenger on board a charterboat in Manistee died today when the boat sank this morning near the mouth of the Manistee River Channel .

Seven people were on board, according to U.S. Coast Guard Station Manistee. A "good Samaritan" vessel picked up the passengers and at least one occupant was transferred to shore and taken to West Shore Hospital for treatment of injuries and hypothermia.

Coast Guard Station Manistee found no evidence any other boat was involved, Petty Officer 1st Class Shannon Rootz said shortly after noon. The Manistee County dive team was searching for the boat using both divers and sonar, Rootz said.

Conditions were foggy and visibility was low this morning.

Station Manistee received the call about the accident about 4:45 a.m. from Coast Guard Sector Milwaukee.

http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news/49758-boat-sinks-in-manistee

This is agood reminder at how things can go bad even in a "big lake boat" That water is cold i dont care what time of year it is .I spent 40 minute in 42 deg water in 1998 when my boat sunk and i dont want to ever have that experience again!!!!!!

I got a call about this incident this afternoon. The boat is "Kid Again" docked at River Side. Capt. Dave Gramza. The mate suffered the fatality in the crash. But, a gentleman on another site i frequent is friends with the Captains cousin and updated his post around 6 pm saying that one of the passengers has also died. What a tradgic day in Manistee. Prayers go out to the familys of those involved.

Prayers for the families. The S. pier @ Manistee juts out farther than the N. pier. Boaters coming from the S. see the light on the N. pier and run into the Rocks on the S. pier. This has happened before @ Manistee. It's kinda strange that it happened to such salty fishermen.

I was in a boat in some dense fog earlier this Spring. The captain wouldn't take our advice and use his chart-plotter, or possibly didn't know how to use it. He insisted he knew what he was doing. He put us into some rocky shallow water. We were lucky it was @ trolling speed. I was asked to go again on his boat but I declined. Anyone can buy a boat and hit the water.

Prayers to the families. It's always a sad thing to hear of such a tragedy.

My question, if they were in "dense fog" what happened to common sense ?

I mean if yo can't see where you're going, Slow down!