Salmon question

I need to ask this from you guys that catch salmon all the time.

As most of you know I am a walleye guy, and don't know squat about salmon.

When I filleted some kings and coho, for the smoker they are VERY mushy.

I mean that these fish were so soft, that I needed to be careful or they would almost fall apart when I was getting them ready to smoke.

This is while I am getting them ready for the brine solution.

Is it normal for these fish to be so delicate ?

I mean I was able to remove the bones, before they were cooked, by pulling them from the meat with my fingers.

Thanks in advance, Bill

You must have caught some 4 year old fish in the fall. Their skin starts to turn dark and the meat gets mushy during their spawning run then they die. Earlier in the season and 2 - 3 year old fish are more silvery in color and have much firmer flesh.

most of the fall spawning fish are on the fast track to dying. i'm sure that has much to do with their meat quality compared to the open water salmon gorging them selves with food all day.

if it was not fall salmon you are speaking of, salmon can get mushy if they are not iced really good through out the day. some guys bleed out their salmon or even gut and gill them as soon as they are caught. taking out the guts, gills and removing the blood line of the fish and putting them on ice works the best at keeping the fish fresh. this is how many commercial fishing operations keep their fish fresh at all times.

Capt. Josh,

That is what has happened, I didn't have them cold enough. I just got these last week in NY.

They are very tasty, just had me concerned when they were that soft.

Thank You very much.

From here on the fish box will have plenty-o-ice.