Salmon identification?

Trout will have a white mouth and gums, Kings will have a black tongue and gums, Coho have a dark mouth but not completely black like a King and they have a greenish back and are very much a scale slipper. The Michigan book that has the fish regulations has a great ID guide for most species. U might want to remember that Steelhead have a square tail and the salmon are slightly less square.

Good luck.

I alway struggled with it until I started using the mouth. All white mouth, steelhead. White mouth, black gums, coho. All black mouth, king. Now, sometimes when you first take them out of the water they can trick you, especially in the cold water in the spring. But after they have been in the box for a while the mouth will usually darken if they are a king or coho.

Nice links guys.....And dont worry, its not too difficult. Youll get the hang of it. Another way to discern a King from Coho is that you can pick a king up by the tail and swing it like a hammer if you wanted to. Cant do that with a Coho as itll slip through your hands.

Steelhead

LasttriptoLudville027.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14007.jpg

King

Ludington8-13and8-14041.jpg

Ludington8-12and8-13002.jpg

Ludington8-13and8-14035.jpg

Coho

Ludington8-12and8-13003.jpg

SalmonAug12-15002.jpg

From left, 2 Coho, 3 Kings and 2 Steelhead

LudingtonJuly28thand29th042.jpg

Can you pick a king up by the tail easily because of the shape of the tail or does it have less slime?

Because of the shape of the tail, it is rigid. A coho's tail is not and will fold up on you.

Tim

Thanks to all for your input!

I picked up a few copies of the 2010 Michigan Fishing Guide with the "Know Your Fish - Common Fish Species" guide. I plan to lamenate one and leave it in the boat.

Spent yesterday at DeTour but didn't need the guide because we didn't catch any fish to identify :(