Stannard Rock

That's too funny! That guy in the red flannel owned and ran Catch-A-Finn charters from Marquette for about 20 years. He knows Stannard very well and felt compelled to ham it up for the photo:D

Daybreak was the only boat I recognized Bromley. We slid by and talked for a few minutes.

Yes, it was a great day out there. To me, surprisingly cold though. My son-in-law got on my case because I told him he didn't need his snowmobile suit:no:

Jeff's Sportcraft is a nice fishing platform, and very nice for the ride in and out with the hardtop, curtains, and HEATER! Just a bit more civilized than my old Whaler.

Take care

• 7 months later...

I recently found an aerial shot of Stannard Rock, and I was amazed at how beautiful, yet erie the rock looked from that high. How deep is it around the rock (Surface to top of the rock)? How much is sticking out of the water, and is it dangerous to navigate around? I'd like to fish it someday, and would like some advice on any precautions since it's a little ways out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an aireal shot of the Lighthouse. North is at about 2o'clock in this picture. And here is a pic of the actuall "Rock" that sticks out of the water to the south of the lighthouse. This pic is taken looking to the NNW.

StannardRockReefAireal.jpg

101_0729.jpg

The whole reef itself is about 5 miles long and 1 mile wide, running in a NE direction. The shallowest areas are around the lighthouse, and from there to the actual Rock. There is only 1 peice of the reef that sticks out of the water and thats about 150yards SE of the lighthouse. There area between the Rock and the Lighthouse averages about 5-15feet deep. The only other dangereous area is directly on the North side of the lighthouse. From the base of the light and out to the North about 100yards is a shelf that is about 2' deep for quite a while. Thats why almost every picture you see is taken from the south side of the light. Those are the only 2 areas that you could actually hit bottom with a boat.

:thumb:

Have a friend from the copper Country who planned to fish Stannard one day, through the ice.:D They went out there with a bowling ball on board which they planned to drop to check the ice to see if he could land his Cessna 150. Instead, this is what he found, and decided he better wait for another day:no:

stannard-2.jpg

so that's how to check landing fields, so If I ever catch a bowling ball i will know who to blame. Tried to break one when I was younger , out of a moving car at 30mph. hit a car stop and went a good 25ft in the air, only managed to chip off a small chunk. never broke it .

Have a friend from the copper Country who planned to fish Stannard one day, through the ice.:D They went out there with a bowling ball on board which they planned to drop to check the ice to see if he could land his Cessna 150. Instead, this is what he found, and decided he better wait for another day:no:

stannard-2.jpg

Great pic Mike! Thanks for sharing that one. Ive never seen the rock like that before:thumb:

Great Story.....crazy yoopers!!