Smoking salmon

Mark

LOooking for a good smoking brine/ marinade and tips on how to smoke fish. My last batch last year was an eyeball/ guesstimate and it tasted like it too. I have a couple Little Chiefs, but am interested in upgrading those also. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

the brine that i use is pretty simple and isn't salty tasteing like some ive had its one large bottle of soy sauce,half of a 16oz.bag of brown sugar and half a bottle of liquid smoke hickory flavor usually. mix that together with about a cup of warm water so sugar desolves.then i add my fish after adding the fish i add cold water till the fish is covered and set in fridge over night.the brine gives the fish a sweet smokey flavor but not over whelmingly sweet.dont worry about the salt theres enough in the soy sauce to cure the meat.as far as smokers i just use a standered size charcoal smoker for about three hours and just enough charcoal to cover the bottom with apple wood.

i take about 1 gal. of water and about 1 cup of non iodized salt to start

stir the water till the salt is desolved and drop a egg that is in the shell in and if it float there is just the rite amount of salt , if it dosnt and more salt

soak over nite then rinse the fish and place it the smoker at 180 to 200 degrees with your faverite wood and when it is close to done spinkle with brown suger and black peppre and finish

Brine Recipe

Cut fillets into 6" to 8" square pieces

In a 5 gal bucket I put in 3 gal. water

2 cups Morton’s Kosher Salt (3 if you like it saltier)

1 cup white sugar

2 cups brown sugar (3 if your using 3 cups salt)

1/4 cup Worchester Sauce

2 Tbls. Garlic Powder

1 lb. Honey

1/3 cup lime juice

1/4 cup soy sauce

Smoke fish using equal parts of apple & alder for about two hours

I keep my brine simple. I smoke fish with hot smoke produced from a white oak and maple fire. I usually do 30 to 70 pounds of salmon in one batch. I use 5 gallons of water, enough of koshar salt to float an egg( usually 5 pounds), 2 pounds of brown sugar, .25 cup of onion powder and .25 cups of garlic powder. I'll smoke the fish at 180 degrees till it starts getting dry and starts to carmalize and gets firm( it seems that people like the drier fish than the mushy and oily fish). One day I brought at least fifty pounds of fish to work and it was torn up by the assembly ladies in about 5 hours, they love it, can't get enough!!!!!!