2007 150 HP Mercury 2-stroked Carbed motors

I have been having some concerns with my current outboard and am not really feeling confident with it 2 different diagnosis from 2 different marine mechanics and one interesting ride in. Does anyone have any experience with the Mercury Carbed motors? I was looking a leftover 07 carbed model seemed like a good deal for around 7500 installed?

Appreciate the input.

Troy

There are some advantages to a carbed engine one being you can make minor adjustments with simple tools rather than a computer. But the fuel injection motors are rock solid and better on fuel the one drawback to all electronic engines is that the fuel system and computer draw a lot of power so while you see much bigger charging systems the engine uses most of the new found charging system up so not much net gain. As a life long mechanic I used to hate the new stuff mostly cause I had to buy new and expensive tools every year to work on them and because I have to go to differant schools all the time to learn how to fix things I have fixed for decades LOL. But reall I guess it would come down to how much I could save on the older motor and does it still have full warranty. I would also look at what it will be worth once you own it as the second it becomes yours it is just another outboard going on 4 years old. NADA shows 2 150hp 2strokes for 2007 both list as EFI engines and are under 6 grand in good cond as avg retail not that that means much but a peice of info to know if your bank wants a loan value or insurance replacement value. So if you bought it today for 7500 and someone stole it next week would you be stuck taking 5800 minus deductable for it from your insurance. I had a friend who bought a leftover car a few years ago thinking he got a great deal till his wife wrecked it and he lost nearly 3 grand on it. This however does not sound all that bad but you asked for opinions so I am giving you some things to add to your list of considerations LOL however I would not be afraid of it as a engine however as a wise way to spend money it is a toss up. The price however seems pretty close since that is a on the boat take it for a ride price I assume.

Troy, maybe one of the Saginaw area guys can recommend a good outboard mechanic? That way you can get a correct diagnosis. I don't know anyone over there but I am sure someone can help you out. I do know one thing, it is no fun being out on the big water if you are not 100% confident in your equipment. I have been out with other people and have not felt real confident in the equipment and it doesn't make for a very relaxing day. I guess my advice would be to get a 3rd opinion from a recommended mechanic. Then you can make an informed decision.