Saginaw Bay first timer...

Hey guys, I am going to try Saginaw Bay this week with my dad. I have never fished it before so I need a little help getting started.

First, are there any good places to start on the south side near Sebewing? I live much closer to this side so it would easier on gas of I could put in around here.

Also, what would you all try for this time of year cranks or crawler harness's? Jigging is not in my arsenal yet, because I don't have a small enough motor to keep me vertical, only the big motor and 2 beefy bags to slow me down.

If you are using harness's, do you use worms or minnows as bait. I have a few bottom bouncers, but I have never used them (they are only there to scare the fish and make me look like I know what I am talking about:lol:).

I haven't heard of any reports out of Sebawaing yet, however, I know that the fishing can be good over there in/near the "slot". I would think that you could run harnesses and get into some fish, and if the harnesses aren't doing the trick you could deploy your stick baits to see if that will get them to go. When pulling harnesses I have only used crawlers. Another area over there to check out is Callahan reef. Good luck to you!

This early I would launch out of Quanicasee(south of Sebewaing). But is your heading to Sebewaing start to the south of fish point. ( 1st point to the south of the bouys). And dont be affraid to try shallow. (10') Last year this time I was finding them in 10-16' Between Sebewaing and Qsee. Take the whole box. Start with cranks and if they are not working swith over to BB and harnesses.

Good luck Steve

If I were making the trip, I'd opt for Bay City or Linwood.:) The fishing will be easier and more consistent for someone who is unfamiliar with the bay. There is a lot of unpredictable surprises on the East side of the bay. You will also make better time going to Bay City or Linwood, because both are a stones throw off I75. If you have someone along that is familiar with the Sebawing area, go for it. JMHO:)

If I were making the trip, I'd opt for Bay City or Linwood.:) The fishing will be easier and more consistent for someone who is unfamiliar with the bay. There is a lot of unpredictable surprises on the East side of the bay. You will also make better time going to Bay City or Linwood, because both are a stones throw off I75. If you have someone along that is familiar with the Sebawing area, go for it. JMHO:)

Yep, after looking a the map, Linwood or Bay city is were I will try.

Are there any decent DNR launch's in these areas? I bought the seasonal pass and would like to get my moneys worth out of it.

Priority1 has a good point. It is faster for me to go to linwood than sebewaing if I am not staying at our cabin. Plus you get a little better milage on I75 than M24 or van dyke. Linwood beach marina ids the only one I know of and they are not a dnr ramp. The only useable DNR ramp on the East bay I know of is Qsee And wild fowl bay. Everything else is municiple or private.

Yep, There is a DNR ramp near the mouth of the Saginaw River. If you use this launch keep the motor trimmed up until your reach the channel. I have launched my boat there several times (not this year) and never had a problem. One nice thing about Linwood Bay Marina is the fish cleaning station. I'm not sure what the rules are for that. I haven't launched there in a couple of years. There are good people running this marina. I think the get a saw buck X to launch.

After 'map questing' both Linwood and the Bay City launches I think I am opting for Bay City. They are within 1 minute of each other and I already have the pass.

Now I need to go out and get some harness's. Any suggestions?