Lexinton report 4-29-2010

Nobody has ever blamed climate change on the lack of salmon in L Huron. The L Huron Salmon move north every summer. When the melt off comes early the salmon show up un St Ignace earlier. You guys downstate have it made launching your boats on April 1 and catching nice trout and salmon but they are gone by May 30. Then you can walleye fish all summer long. My prediction is that the salmon will be in the straits area by early June this year. We will have good fishing June July and August, then our boats hibernate while you guys fish right through november. For those 90 days or so our fishing is pretty good up here. The DNR is working on getting Atlantic Salmon introduced throughout the state so be patient and your salmon fishing could return.

I am not buying the smelt thing everybody in their brother used to net smelt by the bickets in the 80's and 90's and now noone gets any sounds like somebody at the DNR put the wrong year on that report.

Other than that The walleye fishing in the last couple years have been phenominal and your right the alewife die off has helped that so.. I guess 6 ofone half dozen of the other.

I know there were some Herring planted last year around Alpena. Maybe this is the answer. Herring are native to the GLs and would provide an excellent forage fish. Herring would also have a commercial fishing value.

We all have a lot of money tied up in gear. We just have to figure out how to utilize it. I figured out what I had to do, and ya know I kinda like it.:) I have had groups that fish Lake Michigan welcome the chance to wet a line in Lake Huron. They all went back with smiles on their faces, and told their friends what a great fishery we have over here. We can cry in our beer or go catch some fish. Try and keep things positive. A smile will get you farther than frown any day. It is what it is. People that fished with me know exactly what I'm talking about. I said all I'm going to say on this subject. :)

there is a difference between the truck loads of smelt that were harvested back in the 80's and the monumental crash to almost a non existant status to the significant increase we have now. smelt were caught through the ice on the river for the past two seasons, for the first time in years. its extremely encouraging to open up a healthy 5lb walleye and see it packed full of bait. i agree with frank. fish have to adapt as do the fishermen. its something we all love, and if you want to continue with it you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Trust me guys, I am not happy about the 'no Salmon' thing in Huron...I am not exactly a "the glass is half full" kind of guy. But I am not going to just sit here and bitch, and that was not the intent of my post. I don't have nearly the same amount of money invested as some, however, my new plan is to fish Saginaw bay for walleye most of the time and go west 4 or 5 times a year until it picks up again around here.

I am no expert, however I agree with the "cycle" theory. So for now I will clean Saginaw bay out of walleye and wait for the return of the Kings.

And if that never happens, I will start reloading for my 12 gauge and then start shooting Asian carp....Think about it; It might be kinda fun hanging off your gunwale doing 20 mph, with an auto-loader shooting them as they jump out of the water. :thumb:

i love this entire post, still chuckling to myself.:thumb::lol:

And if that never happens, I will start reloading for my 12 gauge and then start shooting Asian carp....Think about it; It might be kinda fun hanging off your gunwale doing 20 mph, with an auto-loader shooting them as they jump out of the water. :thumb:

All I can say is PULL! From a past skeet shooter guy, this sounds like a blast.