Bearded Hen!

SPOONWASHER

Well I have been hunting a pretty good sized tom pretty hard. I have hunted him 8 times and seen him 7 of the 8. Each time he has been 50yds or closer I just cant seal the deal. Today after school I went out by myself and saw a bird moving through the brush. I had seen a bearded hen on the trail cam and what do you know its her. I decided it may be a once in a lifetime chance so I took her. Wanted to get her mounted up by another one I have but for some reason half of her belly was naked. She had a 5 and 1/2 inch beard and weighed 11 lbs. Maybe my dad or buddy will get the big tom!:D

turkey_091.jpg

turkey_097.jpg

Nice bird Justin. The last couple of years I had a bearded hen hanging around my house. I have not seen any turkeys this year. :(

Your kidding!!! You had some fantastic photos of them the last few years. I wonder what happened?:confused:

Nice bird Justin. The last couple of years I had a bearded hen hanging around my house. I have not seen any turkeys this year. :(

Thats too bad! Some years are great at the house for us and others are just off years and we have to go to our other properties. It seems that we see them only in the fall and spring though.

I may be wrong, but i believe if you build the proper feeder you can feed wild turkeys. Might be something to check into Mike. In deep snow areas they say feeders like that are a lifesaver for turkeys.

I think you may be correct. I dont know if anyone else saw anything about there being a possibility of the ban being lifted because of a judges ruling:confused: Any updates on that?

I may be wrong, but i believe if you build the proper feeder you can feed wild turkeys. Might be something to check into Mike. In deep snow areas they say feeders like that are a lifesaver for turkeys.

Mine is a broadcast spreader. I will call the dnr and check with them today.

I will call the dnr and check with them today.

I called the dnr today and spoke with them about feeders. If the feeder will cause deer to congregate in one area, it is not allowed. My broadcast feeder will cause deer to congregate in one area. So....I asked if I could use it if I put sunflower seeds in it. I was told that if it causes deer to congregate in one area I could not do it. So I asked if deer ate sunflower seeds. They put me through to a bioligist, but ended up with a voice mail. :(

Doesn't a food plot cause deer to congregate in one area? :confused:

Does anyone have any more details about the recent feeder case that was dismissed?

The feeder case is only applicable in the county it was held in so feeding is still banned everywhere in the state but that county. I think it was Otsego but not positive. The AG will be filing an appeal.