Anyone ever use Pinconning boat launch?

tawood

Hi all...

I've always fished out of the Bay City river mouth launch site...but I was looking online on the DNR website and found the Pinconning boat launch site.

The DNR lists this as a type "2" boat launch, meaning that it is hard surfaced, but shallow. What I'm wondering is, just how shallow? I've got a 19' boat with an I/O that requires 34" of water for clearance...would this ramp work for me?

Tim

Havent been outta there in years but its was always shallow and a VERY LONG winding channel. Used to go east, then a turn to the south, then a turn east again to get to deep water. Wasnt marked all that great either. But like i said, its been many years since ive been outta there. We took a 14' Starcraft outta there at the time.

I wouldn't launch anything bigger than a 16 ft outboard @ Pinconning. We could use a few more decent launches on the Sunrise side of the bay. Bay City Saginaw River DNR, Linwood the old Hoyles, Standish former Great Lakes Marina, AuGres DNR, Tawas DNR. are pretty much your options on this side. There is a quite a distance between some of these. Another way that I use to judge launches is to look in the parking lot. If all you see is small trailers chances are it will not handle the larger boats. You may also get some advice from other launching there.

Gambles landing is another option, but again thats going to be a smaller boat affair as well. Not sure if theyll accomadate a 19'er or not. Havent been there in years either. Its located right on Nayanquing Point. I wanna say Coggins Rd., but i think i got the wrong road. Its in that vacinity though.

Thanks, sounds like I'll have to stick with Bay City, or else try Linwood. How does that work? I have only launched from the DNR sites, never private...is there a problem launching at 6AM? Do they charge a fee? (I assume they would).

The reason I'm asking is, I would like to find something more "half way" between my dad's house and mine...he lives in northern Michigan north of Atlanta, and I live in Oxford/north Oakland County. Plus, when I fish I usually boat from the river mouth and travel by boat to Linwood area anyway.

No problems launching at 6 am. Its $10 a day to launch at Linwood Beach Marina or $150 for the season. The St. Dock in Augres is $6 a day i believe, not sure on the seasonal. Fantastic launch with several docks and lots of parking. Great fishing outta Augres. The Eagle Bay Marina(fromerly Great Lakes Marina) in Standish is your other option. I have not been there since the tribe has taken it over, so im not sure on launch fees, when you can get in etc. From what i understand there were many improvements to the marina and its quite nice.

I personally get the seasonal pass at LBM. Great staff there and a nice launch. Is real busy on the weekends so getting their early is always a plus. They also have a cleaning station. Id think its a happy medium for you and your father. Good luck to you.

No problems launching at 6 am. Its $10 a day to launch at Linwood Beach Marina or $150 for the season. The St. Dock in Augres is $6 a day i believe, not sure on the seasonal. Fantastic launch with several docks and lots of parking. Great fishing outta Augres. The Eagle Bay Marina(fromerly Great Lakes Marina) in Standish is your other option. I have not been there since the tribe has taken it over, so im not sure on launch fees, when you can get in etc. From what i understand there were many improvements to the marina and its quite nice.

I personally get the seasonal pass at LBM. Great staff there and a nice launch. Is real busy on the weekends so getting their early is always a plus. They also have a cleaning station. Id think its a happy medium for you and your father. Good luck to you.

One thing about LBM They have people out there keeping everybody moving fast and smooth so know matter how many people are in line they move pretty fast!! Great owners there!!

Scott

We usually launch out of Gambill's, at the end of Newburg Road, just south of Pinconning.

We are launching a 16.5 ft with an outboard. But, I've seen several large watercraft go out of that same launch, and I would not have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. I think it's a case of: looks can be deceiving.

You just have to watch the channel going out, as it is very narrow. There is just enough room for 2 boats to pass each other, and not much more. We got out of the channel one year and it cost us a prop.:mad:

The owner's name is Steve Gambill, if you give him a call, I'm sure he'll know the limitations.

We usually launch out of Gambill's, at the end of Newburg Road, just south of Pinconning.

We are launching a 16.5 ft with an outboard. But, I've seen several large watercraft go out of that same launch, and I would not have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. I think it's a case of: looks can be deceiving.

You just have to watch the channel going out, as it is very narrow. There is just enough room for 2 boats to pass each other, and not much more. We got out of the channel one year and it cost us a prop.:mad:

The owner's name is Steve Gambill, if you give him a call, I'm sure he'll know the limitations.

I knew it wasnt Coggins Rd...lol...Thanks for clearing that up. The road their on always escapses me.

I knew it wasnt Coggins Rd...lol...Thanks for clearing that up. The road their on always escapses me.

I don't know what it is about that road (Newburg), I can remember the name, but I'd bet you that I overshoot the road, coming north on M13, 90 percent of the time.

Of course my 12 year old son keeps tabs on how many times I miss it, and he's pretty vocal about it to.:lol:

I don't know what it is about that road (Newburg), I can remember the name, but I'd bet you that I overshoot the road, coming north on M13, 90 percent of the time.

Of course my 12 year old son keeps tabs on how many times I miss it, and he's pretty vocal about it to.:lol:

What is it a couple of roads past Frank's??? Have the boy keep track and make it his responsibility. I'll bet you never miss it again. LOL:) Kids are great.