Saginaw Bay Shakedown

Got my boat out with the help of my 11 year old son for some walleye fishing. My original plan was to fish the mouth, or possiblely go a little ways out near the island....but the best laid plans....

I got to the ramp, put in the boat, pulled out with the electric trolling motor, and the tried to start the I/O--- no go! I've ran it several times this week on the muffs with no problems, and I'm a maintenance fanatic, so I was sure everything SHOULD be working. But, after about 30 minutes of cranking while floating around the river: NOTHING! :confused:

After alot of cursing I gave up and pointed the boat (slowly) back to the dock. About half way back, I noticed the dead man tether lying on the floor!!!! Bingo! Started in half a second now! But now the main battery was so low I wanted to run it/charge it much farther than the river mouth or spoils island, so we headed out to just past the dumping grounds.

Turned out, this was the best thing that could of happened. We literally couldn't wet a lure without catching a walleye. I actually caught 3 fish while trying to clip on my inline planner boards! We caught 6 in about 30 minutes (4 keepers) before my son said, "Dad, I feel sick! (Not seasick)." I felt his head and he was on fire, so we pulled lines and we were back at the dock by 8:30 AM.

There was a C.O. there that said no one was catching anything today in the river...usually my luck runs the other way!

Tim

Thanks to all for my son...I think a combination of sleep loss from being at 5th grade camp this week and the waves got to him. He is doing better already.

I forgot to mention that the fish were caught on Rapala's shad raps, 4 on gold, 2 on silver. I'd give a trolling speed, but with the waves, it varied from 1.4 to 2.8 mph every few seconds (maybe that helped the bite).

Tim