Fish out deep?

Ok had a service guy from Wi. in the shop this week, and he was saying that the fish have went deep already?

I'm thinking this is a bit early, but he proceded to tell me how his brother and another guy were already fishing 150ft + with a great deal of success.

I'm thinking they might be fishing for Lakers, but from what I have experienced in the past, looking at the surface temps, and the reports on here, I think the fish are still in close at least for another month or so.

What do you all think?

here is my opinion for what its worth. I think there are 2 main groups of salmon in Lake Mi. One group winters as far south as possible in the warmest water they can find, the other winters out in the deep in the warmest water deep down. In the spring the first group starts a migration north as the water warms. They follow the coast usually in about 20 to 50 fow till they get back to their home waters and then spread out. Last year we were on these fish like never before. We caught 180 in the month of May. We were 3 weeks in St Joe, 2 weeks in South Haven, 1 week in Saug. 1 week in Holland, 1 week in Port Sheldon 1 week in GH and then they were past us headed to Ludington ans Manistee. This was from the beginning of April to the end of May. These fish averaged 10 to 12 pounds. Of course some stop and hang around each port on the way. Then we have our June slow down (Holl/PS area). About the 1st of July the second group starts getting restless and starts to come in to set up around the rivers they will eventuly spawn in and we start our late summer fishery. If you could get to the middle of the lake I think you could catch salmon all year round, and some do go there ocaasionally and do well. Also I think some of the 1st group head up the WI side and then cross over the lake in July/Aug. For sure the Coho do. If you watch the fishing reports down south its easy to see this progression most years. So yes there fish out deep, but the close in ones are on the way.

There are always fish out deep but at the cost of fuel and the huge area you have to search to find them it is pretty much a last resort for me. So I try very hard not to drive over easy fish on my way out. There are pretty much always fish in closer if you can find them why burn the fuel going out deep. Most of the guys I know won't go any further than they have to in order to put fish in the box. Will I make a long run run to fish sure but not if I can find them closer.

Interesting post. In St Ignace you can find salmon in May & June hanging in 200 fow by St Helena Island or by Mackinac Island still deep. Late June July & August you can catch them in 80 fow or less right off of St Ignace. The bigger salmon are usually in the deeper water. I stay in shallower water and set up for steelhead, atlantics, and lakers. I don't usually target the kings until later on.

Keep in mind 39.6 deg is the heaviest water anything warmer or colder will be above it as it is lighter. SO if it is 39 on top it is 39 all the way to the bottom so as long as there is food out there and the temps are more stable there will always be fish out there but again last I checked filling the 100 galon tank on my boat cost money so if I can catch fish without emptying the tank I am all for it.

Im going to chime in here guys and just say that the fish yes are always out deep but with the weather and the currents the bait fish are going to hang out on the temp breaks. and somtimes it may only be a couple of degrees. So in tight one day were you have 41 degrees on the surface abd 38 degrees 10' down more then likely has moved out deep with all of the off shore wind we have had. On the Wisconson side the wind is always off shore so it makes sense that warmer water will be out deeper. You are always going to find fish in the river currents and the water shed that is part of the area you are fishing. But Jim made a good point there are always going to be fish shallow and deep. You just have to weigh your options and ask if the numbers are worth making a trip. Some days yes some days no. Remember that this time of year you are fishing cold water looking for warm water and later in the year you are fishing warm water looking for cold. Fish love temp breaks and it doesnt take much to get them excited in a particular area weather it be deep or shallow.

Absolutly Joe ask me how many times over the years I have made the wrong choice I still caught fish but did not do well. I was picking away at fish a couple years ago in 300ft and doing fair when a friend calls me on the phone as he is heading in cause he boxed out in 40ft. Another time my wife and me were headed out in mid July out of Musk and the entire fleet was out in 80 to 120 not wanting to take my rookie fisherman wife into the combat zone I eased north a bit when the screen lite up. Spun the boat around setup in 45ft and made a north troll we were boxed out in under a hour with all nice kings now I bet 100 boats drove right past that pod of fish and the wife and me had the time of our lives with doubles and triples and the area to ourselves.

Absolutly Joe ask me how many times over the years I have made the wrong choice I still caught fish but did not do well. I was picking away at fish a couple years ago in 300ft and doing fair when a friend calls me on the phone as he is heading in cause he boxed out in 40ft. Another time my wife and me were headed out in mid July out of Musk and the entire fleet was out in 80 to 120 not wanting to take my rookie fisherman wife into the combat zone I eased north a bit when the screen lite up. Spun the boat around setup in 45ft and made a north troll we were boxed out in under a hour with all nice kings now I bet 100 boats drove right past that pod of fish and the wife and me had the time of our lives with doubles and triples and the area to ourselves.

sometimes luck has a big hand in our choices and when they turn out good we look like geniuses however I will always admit to luck because Im far from a geniues.