tying your own flies

diesel

went to D and R today to just get a plano box ended up with a bunch of fly tying supplies. just wondering if anyone has had any luck tying your own flies and what lessons have been learn as in the to do's and not to do's

i am just thinking it will be fun to try something different and catch a fish on a fly i made and the boy is all geared up to make his own line of hunter flies

went to D and R today to just get a plano box ended up with a bunch of fly tying supplies. just wondering if anyone has had any luck tying your own flies and what lessons have been learn as in the to do's and not to do's

i am just thinking it will be fun to try something different and catch a fish on a fly i made and the boy is all geared up to make his own line of hunter flies

YES! Before i got into building rods i built a lot of flies just for experimenting and had some success. The flashabou at d and r works great too. I actually had most of my success by tying the materials on to a electric crimp. The crimp had a opened face and caught some water giving it action(hope that made sense) I also found cheap clear nail polish works well to secure the thread. Good luck and have fun, im 15 and love it so i hope your boy will t:thumb: there is also no other feeling than fooling a big fish with your own fly

Don't go with low quality hooks and line, it will come back to bite you. Flouro or at least 40# Ande works well and I love my owner hooks. I've used tubing as well as heads for the flies, both worked well- tubing is a little easier to work with. I used head cement instead of nail polish. I also like the flashabou and some banded mylar.

Flashabou...................................$4.00

Pack of hooks .............................$6.00

Tying vise...................................$25.00

Catching a fish on a fly you tied..... PRICELESS