Installing Shore Power and Battery Charger Question

I'm looking at installing shore power on my 28 foot Baha Cruiser, but I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone with greater electrical knowledge then I can help me on this. Is installing 30 Amp shore power as easy as installing the receptical, running 10 gage wire to a 110 Volt receptical? If not please let me know. What about glavanic corrosion isolators.:( Is this something I should install? Also, I just purchased a Guest battery charger/maintainer. I have dual batteries connected to a battery selector switch. How do you connect the charger to the batteries with this selector switch connected? Is there anything I have to be concerned about?:confused:

John,

ARTICLE 555 Marinas and Boatyards of the NEC(National Electrical Code) covers what you are looking for.

I just had my electrical code update class over the last couple of week and we covered this article briefly.

There is a lot more to it than just run 10 gauge wire to a receptacle. Unfortunately, I do not have a new copy of the newly adopted code book.

I'm not sure what you are looking to do but my boat was slipped by the previous owner and it doesn't have shore power. All it has is a battery charger. The bilge pumps are wired to the battery so as long as the battery is charged the boat is ok. I'm not sure on wiring the switch with the charger. Maybe contact Guest as they manufacture the chargers and switches.

I just thought it would be more convenient to have a shore power plug installed on the boat rather then running the cord over the gunnel. Maybe not. I'm still a little concerned about galvanic corrosion primarily with my prop, and shaft so I'd like to find out if anybody has had any issues with this in freshwater, especially when slipped in a marina? I have an in-board engine with single screw, and there's no sacrificial anodes on the boat like an IO, or outboard. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I don't have to tell you guys how expensive it it to maintain a boat so I want to cover all the bases. I've never slipped a boat before this year.

Sorry John....I misunderstood your first post. I thought you was running the power down the dock to your boat. :confused:

You will need some sort of disconnect means on your boat also. On my boat, I have a main power panel with breakers. They have marine grade wiring, and panels at West Marine.

I just thought it would be more convenient to have a shore power plug installed on the boat rather then running the cord over the gunnel. Maybe not. I'm still a little concerned about galvanic corrosion primarily with my prop, and shaft so I'd like to find out if anybody has had any issues with this in freshwater, especially when slipped in a marina? I have an in-board engine with single screw, and there's no sacrificial anodes on the boat like an IO, or outboard. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I don't have to tell you guys how expensive it it to maintain a boat so I want to cover all the bases. I've never slipped a boat before this year.

I am sure there are sacrificial anodes for shafts and rudders just like there are for I/Os and trim tabs.

I would not slip without them.