Fished quite a bit today taking advantage of the nice weather. We went 9 for 15ish, boating 2 coho and 7 lake trout. I know of 2 other coho we lost by the way they hit and what they came on, and also lost a really nice 10#-12# king at the back of the boat. Came in green and got wrapped around other lines, and what more do I need to say, dissapointed! Stick baits were best, blue and silver, fire tiger, gold and black, orange tiger, all took fish. Water temp was 46-47 degree, water in the harbor is very dirty with all the dredging still going on. 25-30 f.o.w was best, straight out from south gap.

I've been reading some decent reports on the east side spring fishery, tempted to take it over and give it whirl with reports like these. So here's the question, the fish are here in the spring, how come they don't hang around all summer? And if they do where?

Nice job on the fish!:thumb:

I have been wondering why they don't hang around for the past 3-4 years. Harbor Beach for example doesn't have the structure nor the baitfish to keep fish around for the year. I think fish keep going north up near alpena to the rogers city area. They seem to have more of a consistent summer than we do below the thumb. i think fish head east too, weather it be way out deep in the lake or all the way to the ontario shoreline. How often do you have someone go further than 10 miles out of Harbor Beach? Quite possibly never! I know that April and May and some of June is some good fishing on our shoreline. Not great, but good.

This may help you out a bit. Chinook start showing up in St Ignace and around Mackinac Island around mid June. The numbers keep increasing as summer progresses. I believe alot of salmon that were planted in N Lake Huron migrate south during the winter and move back north during the summer. Check the LSSU fish cam usually by July they show up in the Soo and you can see them at the powerhouse. Nobody really launches their boats up here until at least mid may so we are almost two months behind the guys in the lower.

Lake trout fishing out of the northeast is stupendous all season long. If your looking to bag a bunch of greasers for a fun outing there absolutely no shortage. As far as salmon go its a hit and miss thing. There is plenty of bait in our shallow warm water areas. Salmon are extremely spotty in these waters and are here one day and gone for the next 2 weeks. Again, most people in this area dont launch their boats until mid may or early june.