Slow My Troll

i would go with bags,they look like a pain:mad:but they are realy easy to use.they not only slow down ,they stabalize the boat and cut out a lot of the rockin and rollin:thumb:

I concur. They do really stabilize the boat.

I keep two bags rigged and ready on the Priority1. All I have to do is drop them in the water and tie the back tether line. The bags do stabilize the boat in rough seas. Mine are rigged to run mid ship. They are totally out of the fishing area. Slower trolling is a must for us when pulling crawler harnesses for walleye. I generally use both bags, but sometimes only use one. With the bags I can increase the engine rpm. It's easier on the engine.:) I can also drift fish in 3 foot seas using the outdrive as a rudder. I do keep the engine running just in case I have to make a quick correction. A canvas shop in Tawas made mine.

I have mine set up the same way Frank does. When I used the bags, I always used both, for better steering control.

But, I added a trolling plate in my Merc Crusier outdrive, will never be without it again.

Slows my 24' to 1.0 and I can maintain steering control better than with the bags.

most guys I know who use buckets run them roughly the same as I used to remove the handle throw it away punch a hole in the bottom of the bucket and run the rope thru it take a peice of plywood and make a circle smaller then the bottom of the bucket run the rope thru it as well tie a knot in the rope behind this to use as a stopper. Personally I would glue the board to the bottom of the bucket but it does not matter. Have enough rope in front of the bucket to reach the cleat of your choice in front and enough after the knot to stay in the boat for bucket retreival. Now your options I always cut the top of the bucket at a angle and put a rope guide on the short side of the bucket this kept the bucket cocked and gave it some planing action away from the boat so it would not bang on the boat. Done correctly it will ride out and not bang the boat.

I got the Tiara out for the first time last Saturday. I put it in a local lake for lack of time. The previous owner had put a 14 pitch on her to slow the troll. I put a 19 pitch SS on her. The slowest trolling speed she would go was 3.8.

I put the two new 30" bags I bought from Dick Boyajian in Manistee out, and it slowed to 2.6. These bags are very nice and came with a pouch for only $80 for both.

Edited by Nailer

I use buckets and they work great,I drilled 1" holes in the bottom this allows water to flow thru the bucket and acually slows you more than without holes. I took the handles off and drilled holes in the side,then ran rope thru and tied it off,I have rope off the side of the boat long enough to have the end of the bucket near the back of the boat,also try to get the rope that secures the bucket to you boat mid ship if possible i use d rinds for a quick hookup to the bucket,the buckets ride along side the boat nicely and does not bang.Its a cheap alternative to bags and smaller. Jimmy

Thanks guys I'm going for the bags. I may try couple 5gal buckets to see how they work.

I just got my Beefy Bags from Amish outfitters about 2 weeks ago and I am very impressed. They work extremely well and are pretty easy to deploy and retrieve. Like Frank, I also keep 2 bags tied up and ready to go. It sure makes it alot easier that trying to tie them up on the fly. They sold me 2 28' bags for my 23 footer and I have only had to use one to get me down to 1.8. I figure that the other will be used if I need to get slower for Walleyes.