Wire or Braid

They both work, some days one works better than they other. I havent recorded anything on paper, but its my belief that my wire takes more than the braid will at seasons end....I do run both simotaneously as does Matt. I run the PP on the two high divers and the wire as my low diver set ups.

If you go the wire route, id spool up 1000' continuous. 1000' fits perfectly on a Daiwa SG47LC sized reel. Also, you have rod options. You can go with a twilli tip on a normal dipsey rod, a JR Tackle Wire line rod with titanium guides or a roller guide rod, which is what i prefer. Be sure if you go with a roller rod that it has good quality guides on where the wire cant jump off the roller. Shimano and Daiwa have some great roller rods IMO and have the same high quality AFTCO roller guides on them. Put some electrical tape at the bottom of the spool for the wire to grip on.

I like to spool my power pro rods with 300 yds of 30# and back it with 30# mono.

Not trying to stir the pot Bomber, and don't know if you have tried wire divers up high too. But is it possible the reason that the wire takes more fish is because of where in the water column you are placing it? I run braided, and BIL has both, but I couldn't make the observation that one is better than the other.

One very nice feature of wire is; it doesn't gather as many fleas. Braid really tends to load up with fleas. The last two years fleas have not been an issue, but if this summer keeps up like this spring, we'll have more fleas.

If your only fishing those inland likes in PA. it may not be an issue. How deep do you have to go to get to the fish Mark?

I got rid of my braid divers, and we run 2 wires per side. I can tell you that our wire divers high and low produce 90 percent of the time!

I believe that answers my query....

You headed to the Joe this weekend Eric?

I love my Wire Divers, I just have to learn to let the Feesh Run...... and wear them down.... not to horse it in and lose mah feesh.... I hate it when that happens.

This is True, You can feel their eyes blink and if you pull to hard you will pull their heads off!:grin:

We all hear a lot of Pros on the wire divers. One of the Cons is, tangling another line with a fish on into a wire diver. Wire diver wins, fish off, not to mention tackle.

I run braid. I saw the above happen on a friends boat in Frankfort.

That could very well be the case Jason. I use my wires to get deep and the braid for the higher fish. In reality though, when i start getting into fish on a low diver its almost inevitable it seems that the high diver gets lengthened out to try and match the low diver if theyre not popping. Again no statistics to go by just some thoughts i have....What i do know is both work well and catch allot of fish. An angler cant go wrong in either case IMO.

And i gotta agree Frank...wire always wins!!! But, so does braid when it tangles crosses with mono. And as with the minimal tackle they may cut off with a wild fish they also save allot because of their brute strengths....ecspecially when you have $40 worth of gear strung out on a single rod.

Frank that is a good point, but how many times has that rigger rod, or the full core taken off, then when the fish sees the boat it charges the rigger cable? I can honestly say that i could sell my riggers and add 2 more wire divers and catch as many fish. We used to run our braids up high, and even deep. Yes they produce, but in my opinion i would take wire. Wire does win with anything it comes in contact with but they do put fish in the cooler!

Last year I switched one of my braid divers to a wire diver and was running one side wire and the other side braid. Our wire diver easily out produced the braid diver last season. For the most part I only ran the two divers and generally the braid was set up to run a little shallower than the wire diver so that may have been part of issue. This year though I will be running two wires, I like fighting fish better on wire anyway.

once you get the wire setup, put a downrigger release on it you will be hooked! Nothing beats fighting a 20+lb king on a wire diver! I got lucky enough to do 6 in a row out of Muskegon with SeaBee last yr! I walked away from the 7th!

I knew that would draw some fire.:) Most of us have tangled a feisty king into a rigger, but most of the time those fish are close to the boat and up high and even can be netted. Run wire back 200 ft and anything can get into it. Of course the same is true with braid, but braid is not apt to cut mono. I'm in no way implying that wire will not take fish. I just wanted to point out the Con.:) Whatever works best for you.

A few years ago on a different site, guys were switching rigger wire to braid because they said the wire spooked the fish. A short time later the same ones were singing the praise of wire divers. Spooked on the riggers but not on the divers.:rolleyes:

I just set up 2 wire rods with twili tips .....20# 7 strand camo ...I am going to fish the Finger Lakes in New York .....I had 2 Power Pro already set up .....I am going to keep both I guess no use to tear the PP down , just another tool . thanks guys

Leavn in the morning, why dont you haul the boat over and lets bust some a$$ Jason!

Headed down to New Buffalo, going off my friends rig. Give me a buzz on the tele...we'll compare notes

Sorry Frank, but I've actually lost more fish due to braid cuting through mono than wire. Of course, the score is 1-0 but still:) I have braid and wire dipsey's. If I have enough people on board I run both. If I am fishing deep I run wire. Up high braid. If the fish seem spooky I'll switch the wire to braid. I guess what I'm saying is it pays to be versatile. They both have their time and place.

I don't even bother w/ braid anymore. All wires for me. I get a lot of bows & coho's early in the season with them deployed 30-60' out. Them fish are out of the water before you can say "fish on!".