Boater Access Site Permit

I have a question, while we were preping in Benton Hrbor on Friday, I noticed a sign that I hadn't seen (or noticed) before.

A Lake access permit required?

We usually pay the attendant when he's on duty, so where do we get these BAS permits, or can you just pay the attendant, if there is one?

thanks.

I think the sign is referring to an annual DNR prermit for $24. Allows you to launch at any DNR ramp. At Benton Harbor I've always done what you have done. If someone is in the booth I pay the $6, or buy an annual for $24. The annual is the way to go for me since I go out of Holland and Port Sheldon quite a few times each year, and there is usually someone there to collect. I checked at the Otsego DNR office last year and they told me the only place to buy these was at the ramp booth?

Duane

I think the sign is referring to an annual DNR prermit for $24. Allows you to launch at any DNR ramp. At Benton Harbor I've always done what you have done. If someone is in the booth I pay the $6, or buy an annual for $24. The annual is the way to go for me since I go out of Holland and Port Sheldon quite a few times each year, and there is usually someone there to collect. I checked at the Otsego DNR office last year and they told me the only place to buy these was at the ramp booth?

Duane

Thanks Duane!

I remember a couple years back at Muskegon Park, I launched before sunrise, and when I came back I had a ticket on my windshield. I was able to talk the ranger into letting me pay the attendant since there was no one there when I arrived, but as I recall he said the fine was pretty steep...

JC

If it was Muskegon State Park (Snug Harbor) then the fine is usually just the $7 or whatever the daily rate is. At least that's what they've always done with me. As far as the annual, I get one every year. Next year for Michigan residents you won't need one. You can buy them online off the DNR website. I think it's under internet services.

Technically, starting next year everyone will have access to the state parks and launches. It will be an honor system. If you plan on using them they ask that you pay the $10 when you renew your plates. I plan on paying it for both of our vehicles. Some of the western states have adopted the same thing and it has been very successful. Hopefully it works out here too.

Thanks Duane!

I remember a couple years back at Muskegon Park, I launched before sunrise, and when I came back I had a ticket on my windshield. I was able to talk the ranger into letting me pay the attendant since there was no one there when I arrived, but as I recall he said the fine was pretty steep...

JC

With the exception of Snug Harbor, all of the launches on Muskegon are owned by the City.