Stacker releases

jimcr

Guys that are running spoons above spinnies likely have a loop in their line or a small spro swivle with a double section of dacron or power pro, then another small spro swivel, then another 20-30' of mono to the spinny and fly. This allows you to hook your slider in that double section and fix it in that position keeping it from tangling with the flasher and fly below. When your reel it up you remove the slider from the doubled section of darcron/power pro and wind it onto your reel as you normally would...If you do this be sure that the guides on your rod are large enough for the swivels to pass through as well as the line guide on your reel.

The trick to free sliders above Spinnies is putting a short leader between the flasher and your snap I have done it with good success. I add a 6ft leader after the snap swivel and put on a flasher fly then as long as your slider leader is not longer than your leader to the flasher you have no problems. Usually I run fixed sliders when doing this and keep it just a few feet above the ball. It is not something I do very often but will break it out when combat fishing I also have done it on my divers though I don't think I have ever caught a fish on one above a diver.

Thanks to everyone that replied on this thread, all of you were very helpful. My son and I went out 2 weeks ago picked up 2 nice browns.1st time using down riggers.

Did you know that browns eat gobies, the large brown had three in his belly.

I am sure glad something eats these ulgy things ,check out the video howbig the first gobie is.

A great thread from a few questions asked. I guarentee you that not only did you learn from this thread, but it helped out others that had the very same questions. Thats what these boards are about.

...nice job on the browns. Great looking fish. Theyre just one of many species taking advantage of the abundance of gobies available. The Walleye on Saginaw Bay are gorging on them as well.

I run a spoon about 30 feet behind the cannonball which I have about 60 feet down in 80 fow then a fixed slider about 10 feet up with a spoon. Then I have my stacker set with directional divers at about 25 feet. The stacker poles are on the outside. It works good in the early am when the fish are running at different depths. When you have a big fish on you have to pull everything or mess with the birds nest later. If you are alone in the boat I don't recommend using a stacker. Just the two poles and a slider will work good. Setting up is very easy if you use a free slider. Just clip it on and toss it overboard.