South Haven 4/2 Report

Captain(Jeff) and crew of the Silver King out of South Haven are an outstanding bunch of guys. My upper gear case gears on my outdrive blew out on our way to do some fishing 5 mi south of south haven today. They pulled their lines and without hesitation pulled us in to the public launch. This time of the year its not easy finding a tow boat let along another boat out on the big pond. Thank you air horn and vhf for hailing our rescuers. I am in forever debt to those guys.

This is what happens when your outdrive upper gear case blows when your running on plane. The chunk missing from the housing was laying in the bellows and could have been a disaster. The castle nut ring thing should be screwed on the housing versus blown over the yoke on the u-joint. I am sure the gears are a pile of mush. At least for myself I did not do any wrenching on this part of the outdrive, that was done last spring a Fenville Marine. You just never know when this stuff is gonna blow. New outdrive is on order...

04-02-10_1624.jpg

Sorry to hear you had such a disaster at this point of the season. Hopefully theyll have a new outdrive in quickly and installed so you dont have much down time...Give the guys an atta boy from me if you see them. Its always a relief to see help coming your way when you really need it.

I'm glad you found help on the pond. Replacing the outdrive is expensive but easy. I look at mechanical problems like this. Better the machine, than you or me.

You have that right Frank. Conditions change in a heartbeat on Lake Michigan and you never know what can happen. There is no worse feeling than being stranded and trying to figure out how your going to get out of it. If I was taking on any water I would have been screwed the 2 hours that I was at drift trying to raise help. I will drop anything anywhere to help someone in distress. I have been involved in boating my whole life and seen body bags on swim platforms come in the channel. All over a minor mechanical malfunction gone horribly wrong. I never want to see that again.

a dead boat in lake michigan can get ugly fast..any decent human being would have no problem pulling lines and helping pull a person back..thankfully not everyone thinks about themselves and theyre bottom line...thank you to the silver king and all the others out there who are willing to help a brother out.

You have that right Frank. Conditions change in a heartbeat on Lake Michigan and you never know what can happen. There is no worse feeling than being stranded and trying to figure out how your going to get out of it. If I was taking on any water I would have been screwed the 2 hours that I was at drift trying to raise help. I will drop anything anywhere to help someone in distress. I have been involved in boating my whole life and seen body bags on swim platforms come in the channel. All over a minor mechanical malfunction gone horribly wrong. I never want to see that again.

Glad to hear you got back safely.

Lake Michigan is no place to be stranded. If you were stranded for 2 hours, how come you did not call the coast guard or towboat.us?

Coast Guard Aux and Tow Boat US are not in the water in South Haven yet. I was at the mercy of other fisherman. I was exhausting all my resources to help a fellow sportsmen out before having to call 911 and have St. Joe coast guard haul me in.

a dead boat in lake michigan can get ugly fast..any decent human being would have no problem pulling lines and helping pull a person back..thankfully not everyone thinks about themselves and theyre bottom line...thank you to the silver king and all the others out there who are willing to help a brother out.

Big thumbs up:thumb: to silver king, and glad everyone is ok Andy!

but hey we made it back had some fun shootin the crap. andy and randy tried to becomes pros at drift fishing for ho's with lead and mono. it was better than sittin at home. and it was good puttin a face to the name and voice of people i have chatted with on here