Bridge boat??

Should i buy a brigde boat for charter purposes?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should i buy a brigde boat for charter purposes?

• yes
    • no

Hey guys i need some help and some feed back. Im selling my Sea ray and looking to get a larger boat. Im faced with a tough decision. i personally have always liked a bridge boat. However i know it isnt fun being up there in rough seas. The boat i am currently looking at seems to be a fair deal. It is a 30ft and has the ray hunt design hull. Ive heard great things about this hull. Im just looking for other guys feed back. This boat would eventually become a charter boat as i am looking to get my captains license next winter.

Absolutely not! They fly in the wind, you can't slow them down, they rock and roll, and they are hard on the knees and back when going up and down the ladder all the time. I have fished on 28' Bertrams, 31' Chris Crafts, 34' and 37' Silvertons, 34' Bertrams, 33' Tiara, plus a lot more, all with bridges. Personally, I would never even consider purchasing a bridged boat, unless it was a Black Fin.

Just my point of view! There are some really awesome, cheap, quality-made low profile boats out there, especially lately!!!

Yep, bridge boats look great in the water, but not worth a hoot for fishing out of. My father had a bridge boat back in the 80's when he chartered. The first day of fishing in the wind or in 3-5' waves and you will know why you dont want a bridge boat!

Dont purchase something you will regret within a year. ;)

This boat is set up to drive from the lower helm with all the electronics, It has new motors and is completely set up. I was thinking fishability and price. However I have only fished a bridge boat twice in my life so i appreciate all the feedback

top heavy, too much sail area, we don't sight fish, more crap too fail on you. First time you sit up top on a rough day you will have a for sale sign on it. I disagree with Mike we all let price make most of our decisions on purchase but price aside you will hate a bridge boat much more than you enjoy the low price. And why is a major expensive option like bridge control a devalueing option on a used boat? The answer for us is the dominate wave period on the Great Lakes is very short making 2 to 4 ft waves here as bad or worse the 8 to 10 ft waves on the ocean. Second question if you get it and decide to run it from up top how long can you ride the tilt a whirl? Personally I would not even look at it long enough to consider buying it.

I agree with all the above. I HATE bridge boats, especially for Great Lakes Fishing. There are many complaints i have about them, but the biggest is the "Sail" effect in high winds. The boats get pushed all over the place and can be really fun trying to dock during strong winds! Plus the up and down on the ladder gets old real fast too(My knees hurt just thinking about it again!)!

If I was on the Ocean and trying to spot birds and baitfish from a distance....maybe a bridge boat. Otherwise, to hell with them!

In addition to the above comments, bridge boats have been so cheap lately because over the past 5-7 years all of the past bridge boat owners have been buying low profile boats, therefore, flooding the market. The amount of wind we get on Lake Michigan and the small chop is what sails a bridge boat. If we fished in 5-10 foot huge rollers all the time, they would be better, but they are the worst in short, type chop.

I have had a bridge boat for 7 yrs now an love it .I would not go back to the low boats ..

Have been out in extremly rough water 13 ft + over here on Lake Superior an have always driven from the bridge. Good luck with your purchase.

Is this a 30' Chris Craft that has been docked in North Muskegon for years? If it is the one I am thinking, than I have fished on it a few times and know a lot about that hull. Send me a PM if it is!

Thanks!!!

• 1 year later...

I agree with the majority here, I have never liked bridge boats as a trolling platform. One major consideration if you do get one is if it is a single or dual station. You really do not want your ONLY option for driving the boat to be up on the bridge, you'll want a dual station boat with a set of controls down in the salon.

Tim

i first mate on a 31 silvy its the greatest boat if theres 2fters or less. There is lots of room to get out of the rain unlike like and sea ray,tiara,trojan ect where space is minimal to get out of the rain. The bad side is the big wind, hard to turn with wind and even harder to dock with any wind. I think that that boat is the biggest PITA to dock with wind.!!!