copper depth ????

I'm in the process of setting up a 400' - 500' copper rig . Been reading different data / charts about how far 45# copper will run . Right now I'm leaning toward Howie's super copper . Is there a rule of thumb on how deep this will run @ approx. 2.0- 2.5 mph. ???? I reviewed the depth chart that was posted and it is different than others. Can any one give me a REALISTIC depth that this will run . How deep will 450' of 45lb Howie super copper go @ 1.5 to 3.0 . Would like to target the 90 -110 column . My reel has the capacity to hold 600' ( penn 345 with 300 yrds. of 50 # power pro). Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't think any of the charts are all that close I have pulled my 300 copper in 65fow at 2.5 GPS and only hit on turns at 3.0 I have been in 55fow with the same results. At 4.5 to 5.5 I have caught Steelhead on it then I hear guys saying they are hitting bottom in 100fow with a 300 copper. The last couple of years I just go out and run a pattern and watch the rods to see when they hit no 2 setups are the same.

The chart above looks to be pretty accurate from my experience. I troll at 2 to 2.3 at the ball for kings most of the time and have hung bottom going straight in 80 ft pulling a spindoctor and fly.

What size copper and how many feet of copper did you have......300' of 45lb copper?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good reference chart but a lot of variables come into play with copper or core for that matter and #1 is speed,then currents,and multiple sub-currents as well as leader length and type of bait pulled (11" flasher/fly or 8"flasher/fly--do they rotate or not or are you fishing a clean spoon) With all of this being said it is good to run multiple coppers off from one side of the boat if you say fish are 40-80 ft down run a 150,200,250 and 300 copper and then let the fish tell you which one to start with on the opposite side of the boat. Sorry about not too much help but that is mostly how it is. As for copper as long as it is 45 pound and .036 diameter the sink rate will be the same. I run Morgan's Tackle Company copper and love the super copper.

• 3 weeks later...