Tournament Ethics

I have a question for you guys.

I am not a big tournament fisherman, I usually get in a couple a year just for fun. But the last couple of years, I have noticed that even the low prize tournaments have had some questionable calls ethics-wise.

For example last May (tournament name withheld) a buddy of mine was on another boat in this tourney we were fishing. Low prize, more for bragging rights type of thing. they placed 2nd, and we were tied at 8th.

A month later we were out on my boat and he says, you could have placed up with us if you had a "ghost boat"...

So I fish for fun, but this just erked me. If these small "fishing club" tourneys have this going on where's the sport in that?

I have also fished the Coho Classic, and a couple of other Pro-am tourneys where 'spotters' were required which seemed to level out the playing field, but hearing this type of stuff can take the fun out of tourney's, at least for me.

My question is, was this an isloated incident, or have you guys heard similar stories?

I agree there is a fair amount of cheating going on in most tournies must be the NASCAR thing ( if you ain't cheating you ain't racing ). Most of us follow the rules but there usually so many rules that can't be inforced it is hard to prevent cheating without observerers, for many of the small events I just figure that if someone has to cheat to beat me well that answers any question as to who is the better fisherman. It is also hard to accuse some one of cheating unless you know you can prove it cause you end up looking like a whiner and a jerk. So in low entry fee tournies I just consider it WTF money and go fishing if I win cool if I lose so what. If my share of the entry fee was lunch money I could care less win or lose I am just out to fish and have fun if you feel you have to cheat to beat me that is your problem.

What's a ghost boat?

A second boat not entered in the tourney, an invisible helper.

According to my buddy there were other boats in the vicinity fishing before the start of the tournament, and they met up somewhere deep to exchange their fish.

I didn't see this happen personally, but i have heard this from more than one guy.

Some guys used to jug a few fish they would catch them the night before and tie a milk jug to them and release them. One morning years ago we were fishing out of Grand Haven early on Sat morn of the tourny and we saw a couple of milk jugs floating so we picked them up they both had nice sized kings tied to them with about 50ft of planer board line. I am sure someone was bummed when they could not find their fish. I assume they were put there for someone in the tourny but have no way to prove it. However why else would you tie off a couple of Kings and leave them out.

Unfortunately there will always be someone that lacks integrity. The bigger the purse the bigger the temptation. I have seen some cheating in some tournaments and derbies. When it becomes, "the best cheater wins" why participate?

I guess some people dont spend the time and learn how to consistenly catch salmon. If there is one thing ive learned about salmon fishing after mating for several charter boats in the past its that there is a method to catching salmon. If someone has to cheat to beat me fine, let them live with that but i know each night after a tourney i will sleep well. But honestly how can someone cheat and not feel bad. In my mind tournaments are made to be fun and a way to show who is the better fisherman for that day. Because as we all know No one is the best fisherman everyday :)