Safety first

So you think you're ready to go fishing. Don't put fishing first and safety last. Here are a few safety things you may have forgotten to do.

1. Check expiration dates on flares.(Mine have one more year, and I have tons of expired ones.)

2. Adjust trailer brakes. (Most are NOT self adjusting) Check and grease bearings.

3. Check Bilge Pump.

4. Check Trailer and Boat Lighting.

5. Check VHF Radio and Antenna.

6. Check hitch.

7. Check Fire Extinguishers. (Shake them or even bang them on a tree, it loosens up the stuff inside.)

8. Check PFDs

9. Put the transom plug in.

10. Check fuel system for leaks.

11. Check electrical system.

Feel free to add to this. Better safe than sorry.:)

Recheck fluid levels after starting. If they were filled in the fall the level might have changed. Now that the liquid has settled it should be more accurate. But let it warm up a little first. I know my outdrive oil is down after the winter.

Not a bad idea to check your batteries also. Most auto parts store will load test them for free. While your at it check the battery connections for corrosion.

I had an epirb on my big boat when I had it, but I often neglected to check it's batteries. :help: (example of how not to do it..)

Fortunately we never had to use it!

the new handheld units you only have to change the batterys every 5 years.:thumb:

Great list! Don't neglect to check your towing vehicle too. BRAKES, steering, suspension, transmission and cooling system. Nothing ruins your trip more than having the boat on the back and your tow vehicle breaks down.

Here is something I learned just last year. If by some chance I happen to go overboard or if someone goes overboard. Dont just throw your throwable at them and call it good. Throw everything in the boat that floats at them. A small head in water is hard to see. The more stuff floating around the easier it will be to find said person, like a trail of breadcrumbs.

If anyone who fishes with me reads this I give you full permission to throw all my stuff onboard at me in the event i go over, and i will do the same in return.

Also have your life jackets sitting out or on you. Not stored away in a compartment. You wont have long should you go in. Every second counts.

Whats the going rate on epirbs?

Frank - put the new Marine Radio on the boat, so there's a big safety feature for the HJ....now just need to figure out where the heck to mount it....???? Powered it up and voila....good to go. Maybe this year you'll be able to hear me!:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the reminders Frank, especially #9, I didn't have my drain plug on the first trip out last year and had to run to Wally World real quick to get one.

I'm paranoid about that subject.:) I'd almost bet you could find 4 of them on my boat. I was with someone that forgot to put his in. We made it out past the pier heads @ Oscoda. we were able to get back to the docks and pull out the boat. If you have an extra one onboard, there is a possibility that you could plug the hole from the inside. They don't take up much room.:)

I'm paranoid about that subject.:) I'd almost bet you could find 4 of them on my boat. I was with someone that forgot to put his in. We made it out past the pier heads @ Oscoda. we were able to get back to the docks and pull out the boat. If you have an extra one onboard, there is a possibility that you could plug the hole from the inside. They don't take up much room.:)

I am extra cautious now, and have 3 of them on board.

In my much younger days, had an incident where my buddy wanted to get the water out of his boat after a heavy rain by pulling the plug and gettting up on plane to suck the water out. I was driving, he pulled the plug from over the side, told me to gas it. I did and he went over board, with the plug in one hand and a beer in the other. Funniest sight I can remember. I came back around and picked him up. Not too much water came in, and we finished the job. I won't try that one again.

Here is something I learned just last year. If by some chance I happen to go overboard or if someone goes overboard. Dont just throw your throwable at them and call it good. Throw everything in the boat that floats at them. A small head in water is hard to see. The more stuff floating around the easier it will be to find said person, like a trail of breadcrumbs.

If anyone who fishes with me reads this I give you full permission to throw all my stuff onboard at me in the event i go over, and i will do the same in return.

Also have your life jackets sitting out or on you. Not stored away in a compartment. You wont have long should you go in. Every second counts.

Whats the going rate on epirbs?

Some good points. I have a throwable on the starboard jump seat. I have had guys move it on me. I politely let them know why it must remain right there.

Frank - put the new Marine Radio on the boat, so there's a big safety feature for the HJ....now just need to figure out where the heck to mount it....???? Powered it up and voila....good to go. Maybe this year you'll be able to hear me!:thumb::thumb:

WTG Jason. No more "Can You Hear Me Now".:) The safety factor is the main thing. Most of my stuff was already mounted on the dash. On a HT the radio mounted overhead would be the way I'd go.:)

WTG Jason. No more "Can You Hear Me Now".:) The safety factor is the main thing. Most of my stuff was already mounted on the dash. On a HT the radio mounted overhead would be the way I'd go.:)

I'm going to revisit the idea of mounting it up top. Too many electronics on the dash already, it would be even more crowded. I was looking to avoid mounting up top because of unsightly wires. Looked at it and there didn't seem to be any good way to hide the wires

JWheeler,

Any reason you cant run the wires through the tube on the hard top to your unit. You can get those rubber plugs for the penetrations where the wire comes out at Menards. They have three sizes availablet here i believe. Would make for a very clean look and accompish your goal i believe...Pics are always helpful when finding a solution..HINT HINT!!!..and if your problem with getting out its probably your antenna....man times thats the culprit.;)

I'm going to revisit the idea of mounting it up top. Too many electronics on the dash already, it would be even more crowded. I was looking to avoid mounting up top because of unsightly wires. Looked at it and there didn't seem to be any good way to hide the wires

Jason, If hiding the wires is a must, what about some wire mold?

No pics available, PC is being cleaned up by IT department. I will look into it and see what I can come up with. You guys surely have good ideas....thanks

I forgot you have the Thomson, so you dont have any tubes. Must be a way to fish a wire up through somewhere though i would think. If not you could always run your wire through a convoluted slit electrical conduit to get it up there if worse came to worse. That would still give it a clean appearance if you followed say an edge up to the hardtop somewhere.

• 11 months later...

Just a heads up, I heard that the CG might be banning the 12 gauge fired pistol flares. They are considered a weapon. I know that charter captains can't use them. If they do go that route you might be able to carry one with a CCW. Just something to think about when you are buying flares this year.