Setting up new copper rig

Just purchased a penn 345 reel for a copper rig. !st question is if i use 45lb. copper how much copper willl fit on this reel if i use power pro for backing 50lb. test. how much backing will i need ????? 2nd guestion is I'm looking @ ugly stick big water rod 7' med action will this do the job or is there a better choice as far as action / lgth. 3rd and last question I'm having trouble keeping power pro backing on my 300' copper rig in the release what releases or tricks are you folks using ???? Thanks for any input really appreciate it.

Here is a calculator for filling reels. One of the guys on the site was nice enough to share. I like to run my copper off boards so I have mine on a 9.5 ft rod mh. I think it's personal preference when it comes to rods. I run Fireline in my board releases, but don't usually have a problem with it coming out. Keating uses a rubber band wrpped around the release. I have used it a couple of times with good success.

I'm sure others will have other ideas for you.

I just splice a 6' pc of 40 pound mono between the PP and Copper.

the main reason for adding mono isn't only to make the board easier to attach (which it does.). Any of your braids regardless of company don't show wear from putting it into a release. If you keep putting your board release in the same spot it will wear the braid and ultimatly end in a line failure. I can attest to this having it happen to me a few times. and seeing it on a couple other boats. Mono is a great shower of wear and tear and you can catch it and retie in a piece or if you add a long enough section like i do 30 ft. you just cut out the bad section and retie in 2 minutes your back to fishing and no lost gear. If you pay attention to the radio you will hear at least a couple time a year a guy saying he was trying to release a board and when trying to trip it with little pressure the line breaks at the board. if you ask them how they attach 9 times out of ten the reply is just to my super braid. I usually cut back and retie at least a couple times a year on my coppers where my boards attach.

as far as a rod okuma is making a copper rod that is about 40 bucks everywhere and is a great rod for the money. it has all stainless guides and a nice action when fighting a fish. I think they are a 8'6" rod. i have four on my boat right now and am happy with them.

Nailer , Line Dancin, What knot are you using to splice mono. ????? Thanks

I have been using albright knots at both ends og the mono. I am going to change to a uni to uni at the super braid to mono end and stay with the albright at the copper to mono end.

Line Dancin , Would you know what model # this rod is ????? Thanks again

model is a CP-CL-862M. if you tell them in the store you are looking for the copper leadcore rod they will know what you are talking about. okuma is only making the one at this time.

Nailer , Line Dancin, What knot are you using to splice mono. ????? Thanks

Albright Knot. I use it for all my line to line connections. Even core to mono.

I take and tape the heaver line loop to my desk (or have someone hold it) when tying it.

albrightR11.jpg

Full animation located here

Just purchased a penn 345 reel for a copper rig. !st question is if i use 45lb. copper how much copper willl fit on this reel if i use power pro for backing 50lb. test. how much backing will i need ????? 2nd guestion is I'm looking @ ugly stick big water rod 7' med action will this do the job or is there a better choice as far as action / lgth. 3rd and last question I'm having trouble keeping power pro backing on my 300' copper rig in the release what releases or tricks are you folks using ???? Thanks for any input really appreciate it.

I haven't read through all of the responses, but I can answer your questions quickly. You want 300yards of 50# Power pro backing on that reel. You can get a max of 600' of 45lb copper on a Penn 345. mark it every 50 or 100ft so if you choose to run it down the chute you can adjust it to where the fish are hanging. If you want to run it off a board put a 50lb mono section between the copper and the Power pro. Hold on, because this is a deadly copper length for big guys!

go to like office max. get a industrial sharpie marker. i use these on my scuba diving gear so i know it will hold up on the copper with the stuff i am using it on. It has red lettering on the pen and industrial in a red box. if it isnt the industrial it will wear after a time.

edit:

there like 5 bucks for three at office max.

I like the stretch that the Mono splice gives as well during the initial strike or when tripping the board. I've heard of guys using a small berrol swivel instead of an albright know and that seems like the ticket- after losing a copper rig from a bad knot last year I'll be changing all mine this year to the swivels. As for leadcore- just use a double willis knot and be done with it- simple and very effective. I personally never really saw a need for 50 lb test PP so I back most of my stuff with either 30 or 40, but again- just a preference.

-Champ

gofishny,

Mark your copper with a paint marker, they work pretty good or Atommic sells copper already marked every 50'.

Championship,

50# pp is the way to go when you get into big sections of copper 400'+. Its alot of drag in the water then add a pi**ed off King into the mix. Its an added insurance policy to protect your copper investment.

600' copper and 300yd of 50# braid will fit on the 345 GTi. The reel calculator will say it's overloaded but it is still very functional. Make sure you put it on tight and give it tension when reeling in a clean lure so it's not loose and bulky. I've been told that amount of line will not fit on the new 345GT2's.

Rumor has it that the new 345 penn gti 2 can not hold 600' of 45 lb test copper . Can anyone verify this and if so how much 45# copper will it hold with 300 yards of 50lb power pro. Thanks