Another Leadcore question

With the warm weather that we have had I've been thinking about setting up a couple leadcore rigs. I am going to start slow, with a full core and a half core. What reels do you guys use for lead? I have some old Penn 209's but I don't think they will work so I guess I will be breaking out the piggy bank.

Okuma Convector 55's work awesome for full cores! I would assume that a half core would easily fit on your Penns, but I don't know much about Penn reels. Like the Convectors because they aren't too hard on the wallet and they seem to perform just fine.

I am partial to the 330 GTI by penn. I bought one brand new around $120ish, I like it so much that I found 2 used in great conditions for $100. I have used store brand reels and just not impressed.

Well it looks like my 209's are not going to work. Being basicly lazy, I picked up some pre-made half core and found that he level wind opening is too narrow for the knots on the lead to fit through. Looks like I am going to be in the market for a couple of reels.

The Okuma CV45 is a great reel for 10 color if u use 50# power Pro backing, use a willis knot to attach the backer and the leader u should not have any problems with the knots even on a Penn 209. Check out the link that Just Hook n posted for the directions to tie the Willis knot. The Cores are a great addition to your set up but you will end up getting copper set ups too, I did and I fish both at the same time.

Mike (Supertramp)

So Haven Michigan

Boat Name MC2

Well it looks like my 209's are not going to work. Being basicly lazy, I picked up some pre-made half core and found that he level wind opening is too narrow for the knots on the lead to fit through. Looks like I am going to be in the market for a couple of reels.

The level wind guide can be bent to accommodate the size of the knot.