Fish Hawk or GPS

I'm deciding on the next piece of electronics for the boat. I found a deal on a Garmin GPSMap 535 for about the same money as the fish hawk. Ideally I could get both but I don't think that would fly at home. So which is the better choice? The GPS is a limited time deal if that matters. Thanks.

I could point out I knew how to get around the lake long before GPS so I would keep my probe. And I actually bought my probe before my GPS if it were me I would get both the probe and a decent handheld GPS mapping unit for the fog thing. Just me but I get way more use out of my Garmin GPS76 handheld than I will ever get out of the GPS portion of my fishfinder. And no matter how much people tell me where to go I can't get lost with my Garmin in my pocket.

I learned navigation and orientation early. I too can still navigate by compass and map.

For me a fishfinder is key. It helps to eliminate empty water.

For the big water, I have a handheld gps that I use to stay on the fish. This one I bought. Stores waypoints and all the info I need to come back to the same spot. Today, tomorrow or next season.

For smaller bodies of water like Lake St. Clair and the big rivers here I like the larger gps with charts. This one came with my boat.

I don't care for the combo units, unless I buy two, running one in fish and the other in gps mode. Redundancy can save you money in the long run.

So, if you have a fishfinder, then add the fish hawk and a cheap handheld.

good luck

I think its a catch 22 GPS safty? For me amy probe is so important to detecting current and troll direction. Like Manic said get a handheld, and a fisk hawk.Your Probe will catch you more fish than your GPS.