Core rods? What is your Length?

Core rods? What is your Length?

There seem to be a lot of different opinions on what length of rod you should use to run Lead Core. What is the length you run and why?

I run the Okuma 7' core-rod for all my lead. I like the shorter rod because when I'm fighting a fish I like to keep as much of the core in the water to help off set the weigh of the line. With a longer rod there is a lot of the line lifted out of the water while fighting a fish. I have not seen a difference in planer board tracking for the longer or shorter rods.

What's your view?

Steve

I like the additional control I feel I get with a longer rod. Seems to help going over top/around other rods and getting the board off as well.

I agree with the above.

All of my rods on the boat are 8'6"-9' except for my dipseys, they are 10'. I like the extra lengh when fighting fish.

I agree with Steve on this one.

The shorter rods are built with running inline planers in mind.

The shorter rod gives you MUCH Better control of your board in my opinion...and I'm not 10 feet tall so the shorter rod makes it MUCH easier for me to get the board off the line.

But as they say it is all personal preference.

The other thing I really like about those lead core rods is they are only like 20 bucks.....

Steve & Six, I got to agree on this one.

The extra backbone in a 7' makes reeling in the core sooooo much more easier. The wippyness of an 8' 6" vesrus a 7" can make the difference. I have been running 8" 6" up till late year. This year I am switching all my cores over to the 7 footers.

Tell me one good reason that you need longer rods for cores! Other then the money to stock up, there is not one. I thought the same thing!!! Six, your right, at about 20 bucks a rod that is a great deal!!

Mark

Well I just baught a pair of 9.5' dipsey rod for my full core and now I wonder if I should of got 7' rods now :rolleyes: . My fishing buddy Sarah C has 10' rods and I thought they worked well. But the problem what I had with them 10' rods is that you had to reach really high to hook up your church board to them. Otherwise I liked the 10' rods for full core.

Rich

Sorry Caz after I got off the phone with you I started to wonder what were the advantages of the running the different lengths of rods.

I run the 7' rods for my entire core except my (2) color; I have those on 8'6" downrigger rods so I can use them to run the SWR.

Steve

I carry 6 core rods: Full Core(10 colors), Half Core(5 colors), and 2 Core(2 colors)

I run the Full Cores with Okuma Convector CV45's and the others on Okuma Convector CV 30's. These reels have served me very well and I would recommend them to anyone.

Dave

I carry 6 core rods: Full Core(10 colors), Half Core(5 colors), and 2 Core(2 colors)

I run the Full Cores with Okuma Convector CV45's and the others on Okuma Convector CV 30's. These reels have served me very well and I would recommend them to anyone.

Dave

I have 7 cores... 1 full, 2 halves 2 3colors, and 2 2 colorsthe full color is on a diawa sealine the rest are all on convector CV 30's. Excellant reels

My core rods are 8 1/2 ft. except my 15 color. I run them on 10 ftrs. cuz sometimes I will run one down the gut and I can get extra clearance. Sometimes the extra length is a pain, but it all works out. I run Penn 320's for 2.5 and 5 color, 330's for 7.5 color and full core, and shimano 700's for the 15 color.

Correction! You have (1) full core and I have (2) half cores, (2) 3 color and (2) 2 color cores.:D

Sorry about that Steve. I got all excited when I looked and the check book receipt. Your right, I only paid forthem ,you have possesion and after all thats 9/10 of teh law right.. :D :D :D

Last season was the first I used ledcore. I set up Depthmaster 7'6" rods for my corelines. Not too hard not too soft, I also have these rods on my down riggers. They are Med. action 12-20 line wt. and over all my favorite rod on the boat. Very tough, very versitle. With exception of the Okuma's that Fishdog set me up with for my wire lines, Depthmasters are all I use.

i have 2 half cores i put togather late last year i have about 50 ft. of leader and run them of boards and only took 1 hit on them in 7 trips i put out about 50 ft of backing and then hook the board what am i doing wrong i was fish ing in 15 to 30 feet of water in sept my riggers and divers did good the day catch was 12 for 15

i have 2 half cores i put togather late last year i have about 50 ft. of leader and run them of boards and only took 1 hit on them in 7 trips i put out about 50 ft of backing and then hook the board what am i doing wrong i was fish ing in 15 to 30 feet of water in sept my riggers and divers did good the day catch was 12 for 15

Shorten your leader considerably. Say down to like 20 feet.

And during sept...try some jplugs.

Yeah I know those ten footers aren't for the weak of body or spirit. But why is it that the 10-14 year old kids bring em in fine while the old farts cry? :P I tell everyone that they'll make ya whine like a little schoolgirl.:D

At least I can tire out the crew some way!

Actually, they are going to be converted over to extra dipsey rods this season and replaced with more 8 1/2' rs.