st joe south pier 3-7-10

hit the pier today to do some open water fishing.

lake was flat and wind was hardly anything.

started out way slow but ended up picking up around 5ish ended up with 1 coho and 4 white fish. talked to guys coming in and heard and saw steelies and a few browns. saw one idoit come back in tow behind the coast gaurd boat he was saying he found out its illeagal to fish at cook nuc plant.

dnr launch is launchable no docks in though but no ice in the river from what i could see from the road and the pier

hit the pier today to do some open water fishing.

saw one idoit come back in tow behind the coast gaurd boat he was saying he found out its illeagal to fish at cook nuc plant.

How fast they learn:no:

Sounds like a nice time on the pier.

Way to get after them Dan. :)

had to do something other than ice fishing last outing i almost drowned cooking the catch who would of thought the amount of water ice would make lol :confused:

I can tell you from first hand experience that the freshwater intake structure to that plant has some good fishing. You have to work there to get access to it. Back in the day when I was a security guard there you could fill a lunch box with big perch or whitefish in 5 minutes. So after lunch I was fixing for some dinner.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the freshwater intake structure to that plant has some good fishing. You have to work there to get access to it. Back in the day when I was a security guard there you could fill a lunch box with big perch or whitefish in 5 minutes. So after lunch I was fixing for some dinner.

Yes, spring fishing at the plant used to be the hot spot. Unfortunately, that whole area is now off limits. I do not think the buoys marking the perimeter are out yet, it's up to the boater to know where they are at. It used to be a warning was given, but lately they have been writing tickets. This is not a new restriction, it went into place in 2001.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=014d9fee769af4550bd221af5fc045ea&rgn=div8&view=text&node=33:2.0.1.6.34.6.196.139&idno=33

(3) Donald C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant. All waters of Lake Michigan around the Donald C. Cook Nuclear Power Plant encompassed by a line starting on the shoreline at 41°58.656' N, 86°33.972' W; then northwest to 41°58.769' N, 86°34.525' W; then southwest to 41°58.589' N, 86°34.591' W; then southeast to the shoreline at 41°58.476' N, 86°34.038' W; and following along the shoreline back to the beginning.

Yes, spring fishing at the plant used to be the hot spot. Unfortunately, that whole area is now off limits. I do not think the buoys marking the perimeter are out yet, it's up to the boater to know where they are at. It used to be a warning was given, but lately they have been writing tickets. This is not a new restriction, it went into place in 2001.

from the looks of the guy in my opioin i would have to say this wasnt his first run in with the law the boat was a beat up tin can more or less he looked like a tweaker missin pert near all his teeth and grease ball hair and clothes but i could be wrong. dont think so though

Been watching the peir cams the last few days and man it looks like its been killer weather. Sure wish I could get out there before the weather turns crappy again. March came in like a lamb so I figure about the time I'm able to hit the pier its gonna be lion time :(

Glad you got into em!