dipsey questions

Last year I had a reel hard time getting my dipseyas deployed. Some times they would plane straight behind the bost and I would have to reel them in a few times to get then to plane out to the side.

Can I adjust the spool tension to let them out slower or do I just use my finger for tension? I'm think I was allowing them to tumble down some by letting the line out to fast.

The best way to deploy a diver is to loosen the drag on the reel enough so that the disc will go out slow, and into the positoin that you want it to run at.

This also helps to keep it from tumbleing and getting into other riigs or behind the boat.

This is just my 2 cents.

I tend to Deploy mine with tension on the Reel... but I set mine out to the side of the boat also and with a 10' roller rod... it's easy to get them out from the boat, then I just let them drag out the line as far as I want it, under pressure that is...

Yep never just let them out I always set em in the rod holder and pull them along side the boat for a few seconds to watch them if they look right I loosen the drag and let them work out on their own. No tangles and can set other lines while doing it another advantage is many times I have had them take fish on the way out. I have friends I have fished with for years and they are not allowed to set my divers out cause they allways want to send them down fast.

Mike so does my buddy Steve and never has a issue with his gear. Maybe mine free spools to easy I could set the brakes a bit and be ok I suppose. But I am fine with the way mine work and like Don said hearing your diver take a rip on the way out is too cool. I can't say how many times I have been sending the divers out to like 120 only to have them clobbered at 80 out.

Mike so does my buddy Steve and never has a issue with his gear. Maybe mine free spools to easy I could set the brakes a bit and be ok I suppose. But I am fine with the way mine work and like Don said hearing your diver take a rip on the way out is too cool. I can't say how many times I have been sending the divers out to like 120 only to have them clobbered at 80 out.

Probably 95% of the fisherman out there set dipseys by loosening the drag. Like I said "I am the odd duck". I like to get my dipseys down in the strike zone fast.

Everyone needs to get a feel for what is right for them, and go with it.

Doing it that way works well for me as I can get them started and then have someone else keep on eye on them while I set riggers. Usually I can get both riggers set while the dipsey's go out. Then I can either start 2 more dipsey's or start setting leadcore. If I set 2 more dipsey's I can usually get core out while the second set goes out. It works good to get other people on the boat helping.

Mike if I am resetting a line that just took a fish I loosen the drag a lot more so it goes down faster. I have just had too many spin going down and that sucks 2 times last year I had guys let them go down without the drag and lost the entire setup cause the diver spun and cut the line. I run my riggers down with the drag on as well keeps the line tight and when you hit your depth you just set the drag and adjust the rod.

Mike if I am resetting a line that just took a fish I loosen the drag a lot more so it goes down faster. I have just had too many spin going down and that sucks 2 times last year I had guys let them go down without the drag and lost the entire setup cause the diver spun and cut the line. I run my riggers down with the drag on as well keeps the line tight and when you hit your depth you just set the drag and adjust the rod.

I dont let them free spool. I use the clicker for the tension on the way down.

So it sounds like your NOT suppose to CAST OUT your dipseys.........maybe that's why they're always tripping on me..... Oh My GOD......Casting is half the action for me.... speically with my Wire line dispeys.

Last year I had a reel hard time getting my dipseyas deployed. Some times they would plane straight behind the bost and I would have to reel them in a few times to get then to plane out to the side.

Can I adjust the spool tension to let them out slower or do I just use my finger for tension? I'm think I was allowing them to tumble down some by letting the line out to fast.

Steve, what brand and size are having troubles with?

Mike even with the clickers on they spin but your reel have better clickers than mine or perhaps you still have the brakes set from the factory. I can cast pretty good with my clickers on should tighten them up a bit and try it. Or buy some better reels my braid divers are on a set of DAM 45LC reels I picked up on sale 4 years ago.

Mike even with the clickers on they spin but your reel have better clickers than mine or perhaps you still have the brakes set from the factory. I can cast pretty good with my clickers on should tighten them up a bit and try it. Or buy some better reels my braid divers are on a set of DAM 45LC reels I picked up on sale 4 years ago.

Lots of members from this website have fished with me. Anthonyyost, DIRTY DOG, Iceman_08, inreeltrouble, Just Hook'n, Nick Gibson, nickoftime, you and many others.

I am not sure if its the clickers or the fact that I have my reels set up correctly.

Well...I am the odd duck here.

I turn the clicker on, flip the lever and let them fly. I have never had them tangle doing it this way.

I do it the same way. I "babysit" it till it gets away from boat and away from trouble and then its on its own till it hits the right depth. I flip the lever, double check the drag, and its all set. On calm days it works great but some days someone may have to thumb the spool occasionally to put tension back on the line.

Last year i was using the biggest regular LJ disey. But I just bought all new walker deeper divers at bass pro. I will be using the 124 the most.

Good choice Steve. Don't mind the cat fight going on here, we all know there's more than one way to skin a cat:D

Kinda funny, I let my low divers out like Mike, and my high divers out like Jim.

Run the divers on a 1.5 setting, and you should get close to %50 depth of line out.

Any thing longer than 6' lead+ snubber will be tough in your 16' boat.

I also went to 11' rods to so I can run longer leads. I never thought about letting them runout the drag. I think that will sounds like a solution. If I try to put out 4 later this year Can I use the same size divers set on 3 or do I need to use smaller ones.

I also went to 11' rods to so I can run longer leads. I never thought about letting them runout the drag. I think that will sounds like a solution. If I try to put out 4 later this year Can I use the same size divers set on 3 or do I need to use smaller ones.

If you want your divers to have a little more separation you can use two different sizes but using the same size would not be a problem.