Cannon Digitroll IV HS Transducer Question

Has anyone used the transducer that allows your downriggers to raise/lower as the depth changes on your Cannon Digi-Troll IV HS riggers? I was wondering if this causes excess drain on the battery, with extra wear-and-tear on the riggers. Also, you would be changing your rod tension as you went deeper/shallower. Not a big deal, but necessary. Is this a worth while investment, or a PITA feature?:confused:

I have Digi II - they don't use the bottom as a ref. point, but where you have them set for depth, then you can set a movement up in feet 3,5,7,or 9" and time in seconds that you want it to move up and then return back down.

since these are my first set of riggers, we tried it a couple of times when thing would get slow. things still stayed slow. did not put any fish in the box while this was running.

did not notice any extra drain on the batteries. no extra wear / tear on the riggers.

They can be fun to play tricks on the crew. I did this once when no one was looking and set it up 7' /3 mins. then sat back down. it started it first move and the rod jumped up, my buddy quick grabbed the rod. I was laughing a little....

We have used the new transducer system for 3 years now. It is very nice. I love being able to see the depth of the water at the back of the boat. It you fish a lot of tournaments, I would call it a "MUST." We use it for Lake Trout fishing, to constantly keep the riggers within 5 feet of bottom. It does change the rod tension, which you have to constantly adjust. It is easier to go from deeper water to shallower water with adjusting the rod tension. Otherwise, if you aren't paying attention when going out into deeper water, the rod will pop and it can be a hassle. I would not bother with it if I didn't fish a lot or in many tournaments. Let me know if you have any questions.

I have digi II and when the weight is jigging a fish will still pop the release with no tension on the rod but you will have to watch the line when the balls decend. A small fish will pop the release as soon as the rod get tension back from the decent.

Thanks for the response. I was fortunate enough to find two brand new (still in the box) Cannon Digi-Troll IV HS units that were being discontinued at the store where I bought them so they sold them to me for pretty much half price!:eek: I was in seventh heaven! I just brought them home tonight.:D:D:D:D