painting spoons

schase1

Have some old spoons that have faded. Thinking about repainting them somehow to dress them up. Has anyone ever done this, do you air brush?? I've seen lots of sppons that people dress up with tape, and I have seen spoons that people paint and look like crap (wether they catch fsih, don't know). Thought I would try something diferent

Thanks

I have painted some with spray cans and brushes. I have used a super glow powder mixed in clear lacquer and brushed it on. The fish are not as fussy as fishermen.

Here comes a salmon. This spoon looks like a Kavorkian. I think I'll pass there are some drips in the paint and some brush marks.:)

Some of my favorite spinner blades are painted with a 50 cent can of Rustoleum spray paint that I got on a clearance table. I luv that purple raspberry color.

If you want to do some subtle patterns then air brush is a geat way to do it,also some simple stencils will be helpful. I had a paint boothe set up at the house when we first started to paint our jp slammers and used an airbrush.If you are going to do a bunch of them you may want to make a hanger.make a 1x2 frame with a snap swivel on top and a small spring on the bottom,hang the spoons between .If you are going to paint on silver plating be sure there in NO tarnish or you wont get anything to stick to it.Prime anything else with a good primer then paint your color over it,after that be sure to seal it with a clear coat ,on both sides of the spoon to completely seal it.have fun theres nothing like painting your own stuff and catching fish on it!:) Jimmy

• 9 months later...

Spray cans work great. Theres a paint called metal-cast that will get u about ne type of dolphin, kevorkean, ect., see through effect u want. Rustolium makes nice floresent colors. You also need a good clear coat of some type ace hardware clear seems to work best to me but there might be something better lemme know.

Make sure the spoons are clean and wipe them down with thinner or lauquer thinner before u paint them.

If needed use a sheild or some tape, but if your carful you can easlily do one side one color and the other another with silver in the middle, or like green orange tips, or 3 color graduates.

Clear coat your paint job with like 2-5 coats of clear.

If u need dots or a pattern make a stencil from a deli type lid, if you wanna be fancy you can even form it to the spoon with some heat. Then just spray through it and u have your pattern

Tape and enjoy your brand new spoon....

If you wanna make moonshine type lures theres some nice powder paints out there and with a little trial and error they come out pretty nice.

I have an airbrush but its not worth the setup and clean up time.

I can match just about ne spoon made and i dare ne company to make a blue dolphin or steelie stomper as pretty as mine..lol.

I have close to 100 lbs of spoons from over the years and they still are my #1 producer overall through the year. If somethings hot i just pull out some spoons that just dont do it for me ne more strip them by soaking in some thinner for a while, and paint it up

And i have some stuff thats won touneys for me and noone else has now theres satisfaction at its best...and its kinda fun in the wintertime when you wish you were out on the lake insteed.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't have any painted yet but am planing to paint some spoons for the up comming season. Powder paint with an airbrush is going to be my MO. Here is a sample of some Ice jigs I finished recently. Very happy with the ease of use and the finished product. TJ's tackle has a video of airbrushing spoons with powder. Nice even coat of paint, color shading and a durable finish. airbrushpaint2.jpg