Diver program, lead lengths?

Bobbys Toy

Leads are way too long. You never want to exceed the length of the Dipsy Rod with whatever you have behind the dipsy. I like about a 5 foot leader from the Dipsy to the Flasher, and the fly leader length about 1-1/2 to 3 times the length of the flasher.:)

I haven't been fishing Salmon as much as I used to. I have been concentrating on the Saginaw Bay walleye. I do make a few trips to Lake MI each yr. When the Salmon slowed on Lake Huron, I just shifted gears and concentrated on what was there. :)

I agree that it is best to not have the diver/leader/flasher/leader/fly length to exceed the length of the dipsey rod. Makes it a lot easier to land fish. However, sometimes when the bite is tough I like longer leads. The key there is to make sure you can still get the fish to the back of the boat. I have a walkaround so I can go all the way to the bow if I have to. Another thing you can do is change from wire to braid. Most of the time I run wire during low light. Then I will add in braid with spoons. If the wire diver bite dies when the sun comes up I will run them deeper. If that doesn't work I will pull the wire and braid and then run the flashers on the braid on a higher setting to move them away from the boat. Since I run the spoons on a longer/lighter leader you have to make sure that you also change out the leader. I run 40-50# flasher leaders and 20# flouro to the spoons. I forgot to do this last year and it caused a lot of problems and a lost fish.

• 1 month later...

I just finished building two semi-custom diver rods to run this set-up. I used a commercially produced 9'-6" blank with a 7.5 tip and then re-wrapped with 10 Fuji Silicon Nitride II guides ($70/rod to complete). I am running Malin 7 strand camo tied a length of 50# Dacron and then a Uni-Uni tied to a 20-30# monofilament leader to a run a Slide Diver Lite-Bite #1 with either a two or four ounce weight. This will enable me to move the directional diver a varying distance from the flasher/fly or flasher/meat or flasher spoon terminal rig. I can play with this stealth wire rig as I move this up or down depending on time of day and background light levels. I don't think it will set the world on fire, but if it puts two or three fish in the box, I think it will be worth the effort to pick fish up that are drawn into the spread, but won't commit as water clarity continues to increase.

I run mine around 8' most of the time. A bit of a pain to manage with an angry fish, but the divers are the most productive set up on our boat. I used to run them shorter, but the longer i made my leaders the more productive they were. I go heavy on my fluoro leader material....40-50# Dont matter if im running a plug, spoon or flashery/fly longer has proven better on our boat.

we run diver leaders long also.on 10' 6" rods reel diver to tip then rap around reel to first eye then tie on the swivel. like adam said can be a pain, but it has helped us out. also play with lengthing fly leader length behind flashers.hope this helps.

Yes sir, now that I am a half inch shorter, life is different. Still have one more surgery in my future to pull the rods out. But now, it is time to "sharpen the swords". Belated congratulations on the birth of your child!

Yes sir, now that I am a half inch shorter, life is different. Still have one more surgery in my future to pull the rods out. But now, it is time to "sharpen the swords". Belated congratulations on the birth of your child!

Best wishes to you. Sounds like youve been through allot!!!