How much leader behind your core/copper

Nailer

Line counters on reels are 1 to 1 when they are 3/4 filled with line. I have one of my lead core rods here at the house, and it was warm out yesterday, so I went out and checked with a tape measure to see how much line I had. The leader on this rod had been shortened several times during this past season. I had 50' of line out(which is how much leader I had left) according to the line counter, and had almost 65' according to a tape measure. It has an extra 3' of line per 10' on the line counter.

I probably run the longest leaders on the website. My reels are filled completely when I add the leaders. I start off the season with 70' on the line counter of the reel when I spool up. This is probably close to 90' of line. When I start adding the leader, I start the counter when the leader is at the reel. When I finish my 70' on the line counter, I cut off and tie on a swivel. These are 8' rods, and I have 3-4' of line hanging off the end when I tie on the swivel. So...I start off with right around 100' of leader. I usually retie when I have around 30' on the line counter.

I think the leader is a personal preference. I have caught fish on 5 ft mono leaders, 30ft 50lb power pro leaders, 10-35ft fluorocarbon leaders. I think that if your running a stiffer line like copper you would want a little longer leader for more action where lead core you can get away with less....I am sure there is a sweet spot for the type of sinking line vs the leader type and length to get an optimal lure presentation.

Guys, I have always used 30 to 50' behind lead core and that works well for me.

I just set up 2 copper rods for this season. A friend suggested that I not use any more than 10 feet of leader, which supposedly takes advantage of the copper attraction. Seems awful short to me.

Has anyone else found the short leader on copper to be more effective?

A friend suggested that I not use any more than 10 feet of leader, which supposedly takes advantage of the copper attraction. Seems awful short to me.

Has anyone else found the short leader on copper to be more effective?

Sounds like an interesting concept... May be something to experiment with this year.

Generally I run about 30' to 50' of leader.

....Fishing Lake Erie, I started running core last year.

....18 lb. core and 15 lb. leaders at 20' long. I retie when under 10' long.

....I would like to use a lighter leader, but big sheephead and some rainbows dictate the use of at least 15 lb. leader material.

....Friends who run copper on Lake Huron and Lake Ontario swear by leaders as short as 10'. I personally don't have any copper rigs.

....I would think it's like stainless steel wire rigs which supposedly have an ion effect that attracts fish.

....HIH!

....Is it spring yet???

30' here as well, I have fished longer but have had tangles when running alot of lines as the flouro/ mono lags on the turns more then the lead or copper it is attached to. 30' has been a good number and as suggested at past seminars and clinics by the pro's. But like 2unreel said, its a preference thing.

i played with short leads (10 to 15 feet) off the copper this fall,with some pretty good results.i like my leaders on my lead 20 to 30 feet with the exception of 1 and 2 color rigs,witch have 50 feet.i agree with don that they do start to rise back up but when i am running 1 or 2 colors i am mainly just wanting the spoon just under the waves anyway.

Cpt Phil, where did this info come from? Just general knowledge gained talking with others who have run copper?

I ask because I have never run copper before and have set up 2 rods for this season. I loaded one with only 10' of leader per advice from a friend, and the other I haven't set up yet.

Thanks,

I think I'll change mine to 20'. That 10' just seems too short.

Are you running anything in particular on the copper for bait? Spoons mostly, or a little of everything?

I caught a lot of fish on lead last year at Fairport, mostly on spoons.

Mike, Spoons or Plugs (spoons in the spring-plugs late summer) is all we run off the copper. There are plenty that run flasher/fly off copper, but whenever I do I end up with twisted line.

We tend to only pull the copper out if we feel like fishing late into the morning or early afternoon when things slow a little. I really don't like using copper due to the fact that it is a pain in the A$$ to deal with and it is not all that much fun reeling in a fish that is behind 300' of heavy wire, but i usually find myself throwing it out there because it flat out catches fish when other rigs don't!

We have run flashers off of the copper before but typically just a clean spoon, bomber long-a (thanks capt. John) or a rattle plug.

. I really don't like using copper due to the fact that it is a pain in the A$$ to deal with and it is not all that much fun reeling in a fish that is behind 300' of heavy wire, but i usually find myself throwing it out there because it flat out catches fish when other rigs don't!

We have run flashers off of the copper before but typically just a clean spoon, bomber long-a (thanks capt. John) or a rattle plug.

Thats the thing to remember about running Copper. Its purely about production(putting fish in the boat). It is NO fun fighting a fish on Copper, especially 300+ legnths of it. If you think leadcore takes away from the fight, copper is 10x worse.

Unless I am in a tournament and NEED a fish, the copper never goes in the water. To me it just takes the fun out of it. There are better ways to target those depths.

I run both copper and lead, usually lead on one side and copper on the other. I have found that their are times when the copper is money and vice versa. I am switching both of my dipsey rods to wire this year so I am excited to see if their is a big difference. I use a general rule of thumb I was taught, tie on the leader and go 13 revolutions of the handle for the leader. It has worked well for me so far.