Question about Flares

I have a question that I didn't see anywhere, so I'll ask it here (If it belongs somewhere else admin / Mods please move)

Last summer I was boarded and inspected by the C.G. no problems there. But when asked if I had any weapons on board I said other than knives "NO". Then wehn I showed my flare fit which is a 12 ga flare gun, they told me that Michigan DNR regards these as a weapon and I probably should declare them as such?

I suppose I will from now on, but have you all ever heard that?

For the record I was just inside Indiana waters.

I have a 12 gauge flare gun/kit as well as hand flares. My vessel is inspected every spring and never had an issue. Here are some links to different USCG regulations. I believe it states you can use any launching device as long as it meets 46 CFR 160.28 (the second link). I honesty do not know the inside diameter, etc of my 12 gauge flare gun.

Regulations for charter boats:

http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/UPV%20JOBAID%20REV5%20OCT07.pdf

regulations for launching pistols:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2008-title46-vol6/pdf/CFR-2008-title46-sec160-028-4.pdf

This is from my new "Michigan DNR Charter Boat Handbook", dated 3-27-09.

"The pistol-type visual distress signal has now been defined as a dangereous weapon and subject to rules of purchase, resistration, and carriage as required for any handgun. The pistol-type visual distress signal is NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE and MAY NOT be carried aboard Michigan Charter Boats."

I was also told about this last year during inspections and had to remove my 2 "pistol" style launcher from the boat.

Next will be the "rocket launchers" on my boat because the name sounds like they could be dangerous :angry2:

Funny how when things actually work they are not allowed under good conditions a aireal flare can be seen for over a hundred miles. As compared to a hand flare that can be blocked by the boat you are in or waves and under great conditions would be visable at most for 10 to 15 miles.

Thats very interesting. I will have to do some research/investigating about this. Seems Michigan DNR has much more control over charter vessels then over here. I have had the Wisconsin DNR check my fishing reports, but all vessel requirements are handled by the USCG.